Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy, Right now I have a 2004 Srt-4. And In a few weeks im going to get a Is350. I had a few question for you guys though. Is there anything I should know about this car before I buy 1? I would have to get a 2006 because I want low miles and under $29,000. Are there any options I should definitely get? I was in Lexus and I sat in an 08 and it had a sun screen for the back window. I think thats badass, is that only on the 08's? Or a luxury package? My last question is Are there any problems with this car at all why I shouldn't get one? THANKS!!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
How did you like the SRT-4? How's it drive?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like it a lot. Didn't really have to many problems with it, 3ed gear sychro went bad but I got it fixed under warranty. It drives rough because its lowered. But I get 37 mph highway when I don't boost at all.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
The power rear sunshade (which you're the first person I've ever seen like :p) is only on the luxury package, but it's offered in every model year with that package.

Personally I'm a big fan of the sports package because, apart the rear sunshade, you get everthing good in the lux package, plus the sport suspension, plus the sport pedals, and for $500 less... plus aluminum trim instead of woodgrain, and I don't think woodgrain looks right in this car.

Be aware that only the sport or lux packages will have most of the "advanced" type lux features like the power tilt/telescope, memory seats/mirrors, auto-dim and tilt outside mirrors, rain-sensing wipers, etc...

Be aware your dealership (if buying from one) will probably have no idea how the cars are actually optioned (you'll hear BS like how Mark Levinson only comes with nav, or only with the Lux package, or how they don't actually make sport package cars, and a slew of other stuff because most salespeople have no idea about the cars they sell...).

07/08 has one significant advantage for the performance minded- a button to turn off traction control/VSC. It can be done on an 06 but requires this weird pedal dance before you turn the car on each time.

Basic model year diffs off the top of my head-

06: Intro year

07: adds traction off button, sharkfin antenna for use with XM radio added, X-package available for the first time

08: New color for wheels (liquid graphite- it's a darker finish), revised rear seat-backs for more leg room, heavier steering feel to be more like BMW, coinholder added to dash that looks like it's from your moms 87 camry. Illuminated scuff plate color (for option packages that have illuminated scuff plates) changed from blue to white.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info man, I really wish i could afford a 2007 or 2008 now! haha What do you have to do to turn off VCS in the 06 with the pedals? So is there only 1 Luxury package and 1 sports package?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I look at some pictures of the 06's it looks like they have a traction off buttom on the right of the steering wheel.Am I wrong?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
On the 350 yeah there's only one Sports package...

There's really only 1 lux package but there's also something sometimes called Lux Plus, the plus is just the 18" wheels that also come on the sport package (or can be added as a stand-alone option (stock is 17). (and it's the Lux plus 18" wheels that is the $500-more-than-sport-pkg option)

For a full listing of all the packages and options see here-

Lexus IS - Features & Pricing - Pricing & Options

You'd be amazed how many dealers get wrong info that's easily checked on that page.

For an 06 it'll be identical except for:

There's no X package options available (which is basically just the sport suspension, sport pedals, illuminated scuff plates, and a set of 18" wheels exclusive to X package cars...oh, and a front air dam)

The ipod interface didn't exist on 06s, neither did the Sirius option.

Oh, one option Lexus no longer lists (but it's still available, and was in 06) was Mark Levinson audio -without- navigation... it was $940 MSRP, $752 invoice cost... it gives you all the upgraded stereo components but no DVD playback.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Oh- to turn off traction control on an 06-

start the car with the parking prake on ....then foot brake twice....(keep the foot brake down)....then parking brake twice (keep it down )and repeat till skid light is on the dash.....it will reset when you restart the car"

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok thanks for all the help man. So do you know what 2 buttons im talking about on the 06 to the right of the steering wheel? I looks like Trac off and power/sport mode. I may be wrong though? If I got an 06 would it still be nearly as enjoyable as the 08 you think? THANKS AGAIN!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So you pretty much cant even burn out or kick it sideways in the 06 with the Traction control on? Sounds like a pain to mess around with the brakes if you just want to turn off Trac control.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So you pretty much cant even burn out or kick it sideways in the 06 with the Traction control on? Sounds like a pain to mess around with the brakes if you just want to turn off Trac control.
I have an 06 and it is kind of a pain. Mainly cause once you turn it on you have to shut the car off to turn it off and vice versa. The main advantage in the 06 (if it still has original nav disc, I think it's 5.1)is you have an override to use the nav, phone book, mp3 files ect. while driving. You can't get ipod integration on it because there is no video in on the nav sceen. I've had my car for over 2 years and I love it. So from my stand point I don't think you will lose any driving pleasure by getting an 06.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ok thanks for all the help man. So do you know what 2 buttons im talking about on the 06 to the right of the steering wheel? I looks like Trac off and power/sport mode. I may be wrong though? If I got an 06 would it still be nearly as enjoyable as the 08 you think? THANKS AGAIN!
Yeah the button is there to turn it off but it automatically comes back on at 30 mph.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OO ok, so why do you need it off past 30 mph? So you cant watch DVD's in the 06 if you have Nav? Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
OO ok, so why do you need it off past 30 mph? So you cant watch DVD's in the 06 if you have Nav? Thanks again for all the help.
You can't watch DVDs in any year unless you have -both- Navigation -and- Mark Levinson

Even then you can only watch while in park unless you hack it

As to why you'd want it off over 30- 2 reasons; One, because you'll get over 30 between stoplights most times... and two because you might want to be able to get the back end loose going around a corner after having been over 30.

Folks wanted to be able to turn it OFF and have it stay that way, so they made it possible in later model years (accomplished by holding the TRAC button down for a few seconds rather than just a momentary press)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
got yaaa. Ok so these cars will spin past 30 stock? Thats pretty good with 245's on the back isn't it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
also what does the precollision system do? Does that come with a package? Or just stock on them all. Also how does the AFS lighting stsyem work?? THANKS! Along with my spinning through 30 question.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
also what does the precollision system do? Does that come with a package? Or just stock on them all. Also how does the AFS lighting stsyem work?? THANKS! Along with my spinning through 30 question.
Pre-collision is a nearly $3000 option, it's a seperate option and doesn't come as part of any package. It's radar cruise control (you set a cruise speed but the car will slow down (or speed back up) based on radar check of how close you are to the car in front of you and such. It'll also notice with the radar if you're about to hit someone (even with cruise off) and do crash prep stuff like tighten the seatbelts and prime the brakes.

AFS does two things... it'll level the headlights (keep them pointed at the road even on an incline) and it will turn the headlights slightly left or right when turning in that direction to better illuminate where you're going.

The back end can certainly break loose around a corner over 30 mph on an IS350 with traction control/VSC turned off

1 - 20 of 29 Posts