Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got windows millenium(i dont' know the diff between 2000 and ME but oh well) a while back and never installed it, i decided to this morning, and heck. it took me half an hour and i'm back online already :p i did have some network card problems(i have dsl and microsoft kindly removed my tcp/ip adapter for me..took 5 minutes to fix) but other than that it was a smooth upgrade.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I switch back and forth between Win95, Win98 and Win2K on a regular basis.

Here are a couple of Win2K things that annoy me:

1> When I use a "DOS box" (start->run->command) the cursor is often gone. If you let the window sit then you see the cursor, but if you are typing or running an app that is showing text the cursor goes away until everything "settles" for a while.
2> In a DOS box the long filename support is worse than in Win95/Win98. If there is a subdirectory longer than 8 characters, I can see it with the "dir" command, but the "cd" command will not allow me to get into the directory UNLESS I guess the hashed version of the dir name. For instance just now I went into a directory and did a "dir" and saw:
06/12/2000 <DIR> Backgrounds
and I tried
C:>cd Backgrounds
and got
Invalid directory
but
C:>cd backgr~1
works.
I ~can~ use "dir /x" now to see the "munged" names, but why doesn't "cd Backgrounds" work???
3> Some familiar utilities like "winipcfg" are gone.

Alright - I know - most people don't use a "DOS box" anymore... But some people do.

Well, all-in-all Win2K seems pretty stable considering that they finally grafted in alot of the NT code that they have been struggling with for so long.

---

webmaster better delete this topic since it has so little to do with the IS300 and the moderator has gotten sucked in!

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited August 28, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol

btw dos mode isnt' in windows millenium edition anymore...however, i do have an is300 background! there it relates! :p

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah... and I used the IS300 to drive my grandmother around. Wanna talk about her?

[From TEG: Yeah - what did she think of it?]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited August 28, 2000).]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Originally posted by TEG:
2> In a DOS box the long filename support is worse than in Win95/Win98. If there is a subdirectory longer than 8 characters, I can see it with the "dir" command, but the "cd" command will not allow me to get into the directory UNLESS I guess the hashed version of the dir name. For instance just now I went into a directory and did a "dir" and saw:
06/12/2000 <DIR> Backgrounds
and I tried
C:>cd Backgrounds
and got
Invalid directory
but
C:>cd backgr~1
works.
I ~can~ use "dir /x" now to see the "munged" names, but why doesn't "cd Backgrounds" work???
Try
C:>cd "Backgrounds"

That's how you do it in Unix.. with the quotes

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I know about quotes - that doesn't help in win Win2K DOS box...

I would stick to Unix if I didn't have to do so much powerpoint, visio, etc...

·
Registered
395 Posts
TEG, I use Windows 2000 and I can type in long directory names and it works just fine... Make sure you do capitalize the name (I know you did when you typed it in the forum), since Win2000 command prompt is case sensitive. I have SP1 installed, but believe that I was always able to do it. Follow this for a nice, Unix-style option:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q244/4/07.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0

Ummm, the IS 300 finally bridges the gap between a 1979 Yugo and a McLaren F1.

[This message has been edited by Nate (edited August 28, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah - I installed SP1 on my Win2K professional. Maybe it has something to do with the filesystem type that was put on the system when Dell first installed it.

Maybe you "wise guys" can help with one of my other problems...

One of my Win98 machines has a weird problem where it just waits like 5 seconds to display any directories when I first try to use the "look in" option of a file open menu.
Like if I run notepad, then do "open", then click on the directory selector downarrow in the "Look in:" menu it just sits there for a while before returning any menu. Once it has hiccuped like that the first time it will run just fine on additional tries. *BUT* if I restart the app it does it again the first time. I am guessing maybe something like the CDROM driver goes out to lunch when it first tries to poll the device (to see if a CD is in the drive or not) and then additional times it just reads from cache or something. None of my other machines have ever behaved like this... Just that one machine. Otherwise the machine runs perfectly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
TEG - the quotes should work in the DOS box for changing directories, try it again.

As for the delay in the "Open/Save File" dialog, that may be due to any mapped drives you have set up on your network. I had the same problem under Win2K and once I removed my mapped drives, the problem went away. If you have no mapped network drives, then it may be hanging while it checks to see if your CD/DVD drives have any discs in them.

Just my .02

Jim
Millennium Silver with all the fixins

[This message has been edited by Jim Osborne (edited August 29, 2000).]

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Might as well join in on this off-topic discussion...

My Win2k hangs in the Look In box as well, but I do have quite a few mapped drives, several over the Internet.

My more pressing problem is my Win2k installation at home. It likes to spontaneously reboot on me. Usually when using IE or something video heavy. Based on that and the bugcheck data, it seems like the ATI Video Drivers (for All-In-Wonder Pro 128) for Win2k are at fault...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue

·
Registered
77 Posts
I seem to have the same problem as you Tony (Webmaster). But its spontaneously rebooted me while using win98 SE, win2k, and winME. strange.. btw, im running 3D Prophet

[This message has been edited by iNtAkE808 (edited August 29, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
>> TEG - the quotes should work in the DOS box for changing directories, try it again.

Here is a cut/paste from my main desktop machine:

C:>mkdir thisisatest
C:>cd thisisatest
Invalid directory <---***
C:>ver
Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
C:>dir /x this*
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is D0B9-D6A5
Directory of C:
08/29/2000 01:06p <DIR> THISIS~1 thisisatest
1 Dir(s) 483,992,576 bytes free
C:>cd thisis~1
C:THISIS~1>

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
If I do a "properties" on drive C, I
see that it is "File system: NTFS".

Perhaps NTFS has this long filename/DOS weirdness, and it would work better
(albeit slower) if I reformatted with FAT32?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
HEY WAIT A MINUTE - I JUST DISCOVERED SOMETHING INTERESTING!

If I run C:WINNTSystem32command.com
I have the problem with "cd" not working on the long filenames

*BUT* if I run C:WINNTSystem32cmd.exe
then the long filenames work just fine!!!

So basically I need to switch to use "cmd.exe" instead of "command.com" when using Win2K!

Also - the cursor works better in cmd.exe

So - that solves my two main gripes (so far) with Win2K.

========================================
Now I still have to sort out what is happening with "Look In:" on my Win98 machine.

========================================

And to the guys with mystery reboots:

Could be alot of things - hardware interrupt
issues... flakey memory... CPU overheats (are you overclocking?)

I have had unstable machines in the past, but luckily all of my current machines (Win95, Win98, Win2K) are all pretty stable and only crash very rarely (usually when trying out a new 3D game that is very hardware intensive)

·
Registered
164 Posts
webmaster and intake808,

Really OT here. About your reboot problem. Sounds like your cards are drawing to much power from the MB. If you have a ASUS or Gigabyte MB, try getting an updated BIOS. They fixed the power draw issue with a recent build. If you have a PCI based video card, change slots. Might also want to change out your power supply to a higher rating.

Later. I gotta wash my IS.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
From what I can tell I have the most updated BIOS for my MB (It's a Tyan I think). I've tried looking several times. My AIW Pro 128 is an AGP card. And I just got a new Enlight case with large power supply. Ug... I'm not overclocking, currently I'm running a 433 PPGA with retail fan @ 433MHZ. I'm having other issues with the 750 P3 I have to replace it with...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue

·
Registered
4 Posts
TEG - Wierd.

I have no idea what the command.com is for under Win2k's System32 directory. I assumed you were using cmd.exe. I verified that I too can use the command.com and get the same strange errors that you were getting.

Good luck on the open dialog problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.