Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the IS for about a month now. Couple Qs for u all:
1) How long for break-in period.
I'm currently having 845mi on it. Cant wait to rev it up.

2) How often for oil-change.
I got 2 yrs free oil change but I don't want to wait for 5000 mi to do. Does the dealer let u do service sooner by using their coupon book? I plan to do every 2500 mi.

3) Some morning start up I heard light tapping noise for couple sec. Anyone has this problem??

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
BREAK IN IS A MILD 1k miles

Oil changes, some say 3k is good, others say the car is meant for 5k

the light tapping noise is your girlfriend in the trunk, if u do like we did and take out the girlfriend release u can keep her around longer.

HEHE

·
Registered
301 Posts
1. Break in period is 1000 miles. HOWEVER, part of the break in period requires High Rev of the engine every so often (only rev high for a few seconds at a time). If you don't rev high, your car will not be "broken in properly" for high revs in the future.

2. I'd stick with the suggested service intervals, unless you are doing very hard driving.

3. I've not had the problem you are describing.

[ May 09, 2001: Message edited by: soulstalker ]

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by Chad:
I got the IS for about a month now. Couple Qs for u all:
1) How long for break-in period.
I'm currently having 845mi on it. Cant wait to rev it up.

2) How often for oil-change.
I got 2 yrs free oil change but I don't want to wait for 5000 mi to do. Does the dealer let u do service sooner by using their coupon book? I plan to do every 2500 mi.

3) Some morning start up I heard light tapping noise for couple sec. Anyone has this problem??
Welcome!
1) you can rev it up if you want, just don't go crazy. It's best to wait until 1000 mi. to open the car up as the pistons have to seat into the cylinders.
2)Your first oil change should be done around 1000 miles, then after that every 4-5000 miles. you can stretch it to 7500 miles if you have to, but I wouldn't do it. Changing every 2500 miles is just a waste of oil and time.
3) ?

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
1. Follow the break-in, rev-ing it up here and then won't hurt. I didn't follow it- no problems as of yet.
2. Oil change every 3000 miles. That's what my friend's auto school teacher said even for his M3 which recommends every 7500 miles.
3. It's the catalytic converter working when u first turn on the ignition.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
The noise you here could be from the auto-leveling headlights, but it depends what time you are leaving for work(if it is dark).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually It happen in the morning. I'm 99% sure the sound came from the engine Possibly from the valve?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Originally posted by Chad:
Actually It happen in the morning. I'm 99% sure the sound came from the engine Possibly from the valve?

That is exactly what it is. When the motor is first cranked up in the mornining, the oil has to reach the valves and springs. The oil pump takes a second to increase pressure to get enogh of the oil into the valves and springs. And yes i have experience this in the morning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts