Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

"Flying into view for the first time, the all-new V12 Vanquish promises to put the legendary British marque ahead of Porsche and Ferrari when it debuts in spring next year and, judging by Auto Express's first look at a production-ready machine, it seems as though it will certainly deliver.

The Vanquish will accelerate from 0-60mph in under 4.5 seconds, charge from 0-100mph in less than 10 seconds and reach a 190mph top speed. The wheels are huge, with 255/40 ZR19 Yokohamas at the front and 285/40 ZR19s at the back. Another notable feature is an automatic tyre pressure sensing system, which warns of any abnormalities. All of this is powered by one of the best engines in the business – the all-alloy 6.0-litre V12, which is a development of the DB7's, and now produces 450bhp at 6,500rpm and 556Nm at 5,000rpm. It is linked to a six-speed manual transmission, which has either automatic or hand-shifting like Ferrari's 360 F1, and can change gear in 250 milliseconds.

Auto Express expects Aston Martin to launch a Vantage version of the Vanquish, with a near-600bhp power output."

Source: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/

Now what I want to know is will the cup holders fit a big gulp?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Hey Kota,
There are many sports cars that can beat me and yes that car can TOAST me.... Man is that absolutely beautiful. I'm a big fan of Aston Martin Designs..DB7 is to die for..Do you know that the Gorgeous Aston Martin DB7 Vantage's 6.0 liter V12 is two duratec Ford Tauras engines mated together? From what the auto magazines say, it sounds better than a Taurus though...

Eric...

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited October 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Since it is a Ford, I guess it will only reach those performance numbers when not in the shop or Found On Road Dead. (That is an Aston Martin right?)
Seriously though, couldn't a full BPU Supra smoke it? And probably cheaper too...

[This message has been edited by HIBBoyScott (edited October 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by HIBBoyScott:
Since it is a Ford, I guess it will only reach those performance numbers when not in the shop or Found On Road Dead. ([This message has been edited by HIBBoyScott (edited October 16, 2000).]
You're Exactly Right HIB... Those cars are likely to be mechanical nightmares and are likely to be found in the shop more often than not. If only it wasn't for the British/Ford reliablity and ancient cabin designs that would be one fantastic automobile. Well I guess the lucky buyer willing to shell out that kind of dough is willing to take care of the maintainence costs.. Car & Driver priced the last DB7 Vantage at $147,998 so I'm assuming that beast pictured above will soar past that figure....it figures..
Eric...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Seriously though, couldn't a full BPU Supra smoke it? And probably cheaper too...
Probably, but at the end of the day, it's still a Supra (not that there's anything wrong with a Supra, but it's not an Aston Martin.) There are plenty of 11-12 second Civics that could smoke a Forced-Induction IS300, but that ricer's still going home in a lame-ass Civic. Get my drift?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by droideka:
Probably, but at the end of the day, it's still a Supra (not that there's anything wrong with a Supra, but it's not an Aston Martin.) There are plenty of 11-12 second Civics that could smoke a Forced-Induction IS300, but that ricer's still going home in a lame-ass Civic. Get my drift?

If you own a Civic that runs 11 or 12 second quarter mile times then I seriously doubt that you are a ricer...

How luxurious is an Aston Martin? A Supra doesn't have an econobox interior. And at the end of the day that Aston Martin could be sitting in the shop after it got toasted by a "mere" Toyota. If I spent upwards of $100K on a "supercar" and then got burned by a regular ol' non exotic sports car I would feel like an idiot. And then to add insult to injury my exotic car just broke down and now I'm stranded on the side of the road too?!?!?!

According to Eric's post (which I have no reason to doubt) this car will be more than $150K!!! With that money I could buy myself a brand spakin' new Supra Turbo at $50K and still have $100K to play with. I can even put in aftermarket race seats and then wrap those in leather and make myself a whole custom interior if I wanted to.

I will take the regular ol' trusty I love what you do for me everyday people Toyota.

·
Registered
103 Posts

If you own a Civic that runs 11 or 12 second quarter mile times then I seriously doubt that you are a ricer...

Being a ricer wasn't my point. It's still a Civic.

How luxurious is an Aston Martin? A Supra doesn't have an econobox interior. And at the end of the day that Aston Martin could be sitting in the shop after it got toasted by a "mere" Toyota. If I spent upwards of $100K on a "supercar" and then got burned by a regular ol' non exotic sports car I would feel like an idiot. And then to add insult to injury my exotic car just broke down and now I'm stranded on the side of the road too?!?!?!

Luxurious? Try full Connolly leather interior with book matched walnut veneers.

Where is the proof of these vehicles being "mechnical nightmares?" I haven't done any research, so I cannot comment on their reliability. Ask any new (post Ford) Jaguar owner what they think of their vehicles. Many will probably tell you that they are delighted that Ford is now helping produce their cars, as a vast majority of pre-Ford Jags were some of the biggest POS on the road ever.

Sheer performance is not the only criteria for purchasing a super car (although a hefty portion of the price of admission), as you must also factor in the exclusivity of super car ownership as well. Look at the Z8. Only 400 people in the U.S. will be able to say they own one. 400! How many Supras are on the road? 30,000? 50,000? 100,000? IMO, the street killer Supra is becoming a bit passe, especially when you look at some of the ridiculous body kits that people are bolting on that are ruining an otherwise beautiful car.

According to Eric's post (which I have no reason to doubt) this car will be more than $150K!!! With that money I could buy myself a brand spakin' new Supra Turbo at $50K and still have $100K to play with. I can even put in aftermarket race seats and then wrap those in leather and make myself a whole custom interior if I wanted to.

By all means, buy what you want, but if you were actually able to afford a $150,000 car you'd settle for a Supra? I'm sure you're just like myself in that $150,000 for a car is ludicrous, but if I was raking in $750K a year, I don't think I'd be giving a Supra much thought. Maybe as a fourth or fifth car...

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I know being a ricer wasn't your point, but you mentioned "ricer" and I am just pointing out that you are probably not a ricer if your Civic runs 11 or 12 second 1/4 mile times.

I don't care about full Connolly leather w/ book matched walnut veneers. I *hate* wood trim in vehicles anyway, and what does leather do for my ass? I'd rather have Sparco seats in the car. And if leather is a must then custom wrap it with the best leather money can buy. What am I going to do w/ all this performance if my ass can't stay planted? Leather is not the ideal surface, and my ass can't feel it anyway.

As for exclusivity, I guess some people really need that to feel special. If you need exclusivity why not try to buy a top of the line Toyota in Japan? Toyota needs to approve you as a purchaser of this car. Ever heard the phrase "money talks, bullsh!t walks?" Well in this case "status talks, money walks." No matter how rich you are, it does not mean you can get your hands on this car.

Your numbers for the Supra are way off. Even the lowest number you quoted is *way* higher than the actual number of 4th generation Supras sold. There were only 11,239 4th generation Supras sold in the United States. That is including non turbo and turbo models. There were only about 7000 Supra Turbo models sold in 6 years. Not all of these are still on the road. Sadly, people have totaled some of them (let us have a moment of silence here).

As for proof of Ford making POS cars. Um, which company designed an SUV that rolls over too easy and instead of redesigning it just deflated the tires a little? Fords are not anywhere near the quality of a Toyota. There is a reason that Toyota Motor is the richest car company in the world...they are not buying back lemons left and right (hint, hint
). Ford is only worth 1/3 of what Toyota is despite owning a $hitload of companies.

And yes, even if I was super rich rolling in dough w/ a fortune the size of Scrooge McDuck, I'd still go for the Supra Turbo as my *first* car. Even the mighty McLaren F1 takes a backseat as far as what car I want.
---------------------------------------------
As for exclusive Supras...
I think there are about 3 of these in the world. Yes, 3. Fully customized by AB Flug Japan. Winner of Tokyo Auto Salon.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HIB, is this the Toyota flagship you're talking about? It costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $90k to $100k. Personally I think it compares favorably with a Buick, but it doesn't do it for me.

About the Vanquish; say what you want about reliability, but I think the DB7 and Vanquish are a piece of art as much as engineering prowess. There are bunch of lower priced cars that will smoke the Vanquish, but it can't approach the sense of style and class that AM has in generous gallopings. Think about it- would you rather see 007 drive around in a Supra Turbo or a Vanquish? Maybe you're the wrong person to ask.

[This message has been edited by kota (edited October 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Supra Turbo!!! Supra Turbo!!!
There you have it, I *am* the wrong person to ask.
And yep that is the car, at least I think it is. The V12 one. I think it is called the Century...I could find out, but am too lazy to go and do it...
Seeing bond in a 360 Modena would be pretty cool...but cooler than Supra Turbo? Nah...
Wait, no I take that back. Bond's car always gets totalled...I don't think I could handle a Supra Turbo being destroyed like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
HIBBoyScott
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing