Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Video: E675E79D-F231-47DF-A291-DEE62C47F863
If I floor my car, at around 3k rpm, it hits this fake rev limiter for a second or so then continues. Essentially a big hesitation. I've had a number of issues with my car and replaced so many parts. I'm wondering if this is the VVTI gear or related to that area leaking bad? I think if I "keep on the throttle", during the hesitation, I get the flashing engine light code for a few seconds. I've only triggered that once, since I only tried it once.

I have all new OEM spark plugs, new Denso coil packs, felpro valve covers, all new clip fittings to spark plugs, 3 entire throttle bodies with all sensors I've tested, new exhaust manifold and megan y-pipe, and most likely more I can't remember.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
581 Posts
So when you floor it, you get a flashing CEL? Is that correct?

If So, it is misfiring bad and you should read the codes and see what you get. It is struggling for power and seems like a rev limiter because it is misfiring so badly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So when you floor it, you get a flashing CEL? Is that correct?

If So, it is misfiring bad and you should read the codes and see what you get. It is struggling for power and seems like a rev limiter because it is misfiring so badly.
No, it's VERY hard to trigger a flashing CEL.

If I floor it. It'll hesitate around 3k rpm for maybe half a second. It'll sound like I'm hitting a rev limiter during this half a second, and then continue.

I forgot to mention I've also replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
581 Posts
Seems like it is misfiring still to me. I would get a scanner that can read pending codes so that you can see if there are any.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like it is misfiring still to me. I would get a scanner that can read pending codes so that you can see if there are any.
I managed to get a video of it where it happens twice. Where it has a "machine gun" type noise is when it happens, and also at 4k. I'm starting to think it might be an o2 sensor or exhaust leak.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
581 Posts
Yes it’s misfiring.

·
3,113 Posts
Well I wonder what's causing it but I think I'll just part the car out at this point.
Until you investigate more. You will not fix anything without inspecting and trying things.

If this is to hard. Maybe you should go buy a brand new car with a warranty. Cars must be looked after and requires work. Otherwise take it to someone that will fix it. It seems you do not want to try. There are not magic fix buttons.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The ECU should have stored the error codes it was throwing in the background, you need to get a scanner and look at what the last bunch of codes were.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts