Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, at long last I picked up my '08 IS350. Off the bat I noticed the tighter steering (not sure it is on account of it being brand new or the actual change but it was definitely tighter).

I also like the rim color/shine better than the '07. I also noticed a HUGE difference in power (not because the '08's are faster), but because mine came back a dud when it was allegedly "fixed" by the dealership. Here are some pics:

And... gone, but not forgotten...

·
Registered
636 Posts
Nice.. I'm glad it finally worked out.

Now, let's hear the gritty details regarding your experience with Lexus over this matter! ;)

-Mike

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now, let's hear the gritty details regarding your experience with Lexus over this matter! ;)

-Mike
Most of it is probably mundane to others, but to me it was pretty serious.

I almost don't know where to start, but I'll start off by asking you to accept that before I had the reliability issues with my car, my entire experience was a disaster. From the fact that my dealership couldn't get my permanent plates squared away to the car being damaged on delivery, but forget all that for a minute.

It starts with the car having problems. At first, service took the attitude that I "was reversing improperly" (my car would stall everytime I would reverse). The general service I receive was total garbage, but lets ALSO forget about that for a minute.

In NJ (where I live) the Lemon Law is really pretty clear. It basically says you get a new car if you meet one of the following criteria:

1) Three failed repair attempts for the same issue by the dealer during the first two calendar years of ownership or 25k miles or;

2) More than 20 days in service and the car is unusable.

My car was in service for 27 calendar days, 21 of which were consecutive. There was NO question I qualifed under #2, but probably under #1 as well, although that would have been a tougher case. In any event, I qualified.

I get a call from a guy (I'll call Jack) from the Torrance, CA office. He basically says, "we're very sorry and we'll get you a car asap, but this matter has to be handled with your regional office, which is in Parsipanny, NJ". I spoke with this guy a few times and he really made me feel like the transition would be smooth and immediate.

Next, the case gets transferred to this bimbo in NJ (keep in mind both the guy in Torrance and bimbo had three of my letters with all my attachments outlining everything that happened). Bimbo calls me and says, "hi, I'm bimbo and I'm going to send you a letter so we can investigate this matter".

I was thinking "investigate"... what the f*ck, is this homeland security". In any event, I played along and told her I would cooperate in anything they needed. So she sends me this letter asking for all these documents (all of which I had previously provided), but did so again (stuff like Title, maintainence records etc...). I also had to fill out a questionarre about the care. Ridiculous stuff, but no biggie. I did it all and returned it to them the same day I got them (both by fax and regular mail).

A week later and I hear NOTHING from Lexus. Finally I call Ms. Bimbo and she really cops and attitude and basically tells me "shut up and wait until we are done our investigation because we're doing you a favor".

That was it... I had been REALLY nice to everyone until that point, and I really let her have it. Without getting into too many specifics I told her that Lexus had 10 days to make a final decision as to what they were going to do with me (apparently the guy in Torrance was wrong, because the regional office had final authority on the Lemon Law claim). I told her if I didn't have an answer in 10 days, Lexus would have a Summons and Complaint in their hands.

Nothing for 9 days and on the 10th, bimbo calls me to tell me that they are "honoring" my lemon law claim and that I will be especially "lucky" because "Lexus won't be charing me anything for my old car - like wear and tear". I blew my stack, you can imagine. This b*tch has the nerve to tell me I'm lucky. If I sued them, Lexus would be on the hook for my legal fees. I would have had one of the partners from my firm represent me and it would have ended up costing Lexus 60k in legal fees and that b*tch thought I was the one that was "lucky". F - her.

So, during my multiple conversations with bimbo, I tell her that I was looking to replace wifey's RX with a new one, but will now probably get a new MDX instead.

A day later, Lexus' sales manager calls me asking if I would like a "new RX". Hmmmm, wonder what brought that on. So it gets me thinking...

I'm thinking, the ONLY reason I'm getting this new car is because the LAW is FORCING THEM to give me a new one, NOT out of the goodness of their hearts. So I said to myself, I've been through a lot of BS with this car, Lexus should do something for me. Something nice!

So, I call bimbo back and I say, "what are you going to do for me". She first says, "we're giving you a new car" and I proceed to make an ass out of her. Finally she realizes they really aren't doing squat for me and says she'll ask "one of her bosses" what they can do.

First, I ask for an IS-F. Don't laugh, I really did. Okay laugh, they did. I wasn't serious, but I figured I'd start big. They said no.

Second I asked for Mark Levinson sound in my new ride. They said absolutely not. Wouldn't even consider it.

Last, I asked for a new RX at the *manufacturers cost* plus shipping expenses. On the RX, this is about 10k below sticker. Again, they said NO.

Two days later, the general manager calls me asking me if "he could get me into a new RX" and I basically say, you guys won't do sh*t for me and you think I'm going to buy another car from you, go F - yourself.

He tells me, "this time we're going to right be you, you are going to receive the Lexus experience".

Yeah right.

After that, I hear nothing from Lexus (this is in early February - probably first week). After about 2 1/2 weeks, no new car, no word from Lexus, I figure I'd call them. I call bimbo, leave a message, no call back. I call the general manager at the dealership and I get nothing. Finally I call him a second time and I leave the following message, "please tell him that this is Mr. Chertoff calling from homeland security and I have the requisite clearance for him to talk to me about my Lemon Law claim". He does not respond.

I call the "regional office" and leave a new message for bimbo's boss. She calls me back in a few hours (I believe I called her on the 20th of February). She says "your car was delivered to port on the 18th and it usually take 7-10 days to get your car, but since we are so close to port, you should get it in about 5 days. So I wait.

5 days, 7 day, 10 days, 14 days, nothing. At this point, I'm just absolutely shocked at how bad all of these people really are. Just NO service at all. Finally, on March 12, I get a call from someone I've never talked to before saying "your car will be ready on Saturday at 10am". Two days later, they change the appointment to 1pm.

I get to the dealership at EXACTLY 1pm and now I'm waiting for the "Lexus experience". I get the "best salesman" who tells me these EXACT words... "I was just told 5 minutes before you got here that I HAD to do your delivery and I've really got to make it quick because I have an LS delivery at 2pm".

I say to the guy, "listen, I know you're probably not making any money off this delivery and I know the car, so just give me the keys and I'll be out of your hair". I fill out the necessary paper work, he walks me out to my car and says "if anyone calls you and asks you if I showed you the service area and how the car works or paired your phone, just tell them I did". I said "will do boss" and just laughed.

It was a fitting end to this soap opera.

There is probably a LOT more I've just glossed over or forgotten, but needless to say, I think I really am done with Lexus. Good cars or not, I'm tainted, really tainted. I still LOVE my ride, but I HATE the company. I'm looking into an M5 or an MDX for my wife, NO CHANCE at an RX.

Customer service a total zero, a real zero. I got a call from them two days ago asking me to partake in a marketting group discussion. I'm leaving work early to go, so I can really light them up. I'm also going to write one final letter to Lexus outlining everything they did or didn't do. Really pathetic.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sorry to hear your bad experience. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from now :) Ever have any problems with service for the RX?

·
Registered
27 Posts
First: Nice car. Love white. Just love it.

Second: OMG. What a freaking nightmare.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to tell us the story...

+rep

-Mike

EDIT: Damn.. "You must spread some rep around...."

·
Registered
2 Posts
wow that just amazes me....makes me wants to divorce lexus, what a horrible ordeal, i would have gone columbine on that dealership. I award your patience tho.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your new '08 IS350 is gorgeous! I just love this car its just so nice expecially starfire pearl or gracier frost mica are my two favorite colors.

Wow its very sad how Lexus treated you ... *sighs* I tought BMW had bad customer service. So far where I live Lexus dealerships has been very friendly but then i didn't experience this drama you had to go through. Thumbs up for being so patience ;)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Any update on how the group thing went or anything?

I would have flipped out big time.

Love your car by the way. +rep (we'll see if i can)

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
This isnt the first time I have heard of bad experience with Lexus. There 1-800 road side assistant is just as bad. Is lexus at FAULT :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like the local BMW dealership here...

Should have sued for losses due to not having your vehicle and time wasted on that whole ordeal or at least hinted it.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
sounds like a whole lot of BMW dealerships. they could care less about the customer. even though that is what drive profits.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i agree. Lexus service is not good at all or maybe we just have high standards. And i am in Toronto, Canada

I brought my car in for the 1st service which they gave me a detailing on the car.

2 days later, the csr from the dealership sent me an email to offer any feedback on the service call.

I wrote a long-a$$ letter complaining how lexus paint is so thin which caused a lot of stone chips. I compared it to my old honda where I had less stone chips than the lexus while I had the Honda for 5 years and the Lexus for 6 months.

I also complained about how bad the detailing job was. The rims were not washed and looked like the car was washed by a grade school student, which probably was.

I guess the CSR was waiting for a positive feedback or something 'cause I did not even get an apology or anything to explain about Lexus paint and why it's thinner than most cars. I never complained again and will not go back to Lexus for servicing. This will also be my first and last Lexus.

But I guess this type of service is Industry Wide. They will never provide any sorts of monetary compensation or will they give anything away as they have a business to run. But I don't see how people say their service is good or excellent while it's only satisfactory or at par with other car makers' customer service.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
CRX,

My Dad uses Scarborough Lexus-Toyota (in Toronto) and I have found (compared to my Jersey dealerships) they are 100 times better. I was just there a few days ago (I took his car in for service while I was visiting).

As for the washing... I actually ask the dealership NOT to touch my car on the outside. I let them vacuum the interior and NOTHING else. I do so for a variety of reasons, but primarily because they do a pi$$ poor job and I do NOT trust the materials they use for washing.

I mean, detailing my car is like something I look forward to (I wash using the two bucket system), I only use high quality MF towels (or 100% cotton terry towels etc...). I'm not letting some highschool flunkie at my paint with 10 year old scrub brush that just finished cleaning some grease off an engine and is now being smeared into my paint!!! LOL

I've also used Formula Honda and Roadsport Honda (in Toronto) and found both excellent in service, but nothing like my Honda dealer in Jersey. When I tell people my Honda dealer blows away my Lexus dealer, they are rather amazed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i agree with you Razal. The next time if I do go back, I wouldn't want them to touch my car on the outside. Just vacuum and do the stuff I don't like to do to my car.

As for Honda dealerships in Toronto, I've been to Roadsport, Formula and North Markham all met my expectations. Maybe it's cause I didn't expect that high of an expectation. But the last time I went to North Markham, they told me the oil change would be 45 mins. I waited 15 mins and my car was back out. So that was what's good about it. I'd rather just get a quick oil change and get out, and don't want to wait for someone washing my car who's not going to do a good job anyway.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts