Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago i launched my car for the first time(w/ trac off),@ 2K RPM and the car started wheel hopping(never had this problem on my auto when i neutral dropped it)..i am wondering what is the cause of it? if i get suspensions(TRD sportivo Set) will that get rid of my wheel hop?..or should i get LSD? On the way home yesterday i was curious if i left any tire marks and when i arrived to the location where i launched my car i noticed that the drivers side left marks like - - - - . but the passenger side left a straight line ____. Thanks in advance.

- - - (drivers side)
____ (passenger side)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
dragonblade said:
A couple of days ago i launched my car for the first time(w/ trac off),@ 2K RPM and the car started wheel hopping(never had this problem on my auto when i neutral dropped it)..i am wondering what is the cause of it? if i get suspensions(TRD sportivo Set) will that get rid of my wheel hop?..or should i get LSD? On the way home yesterday i was curious if i left any tire marks and when i arrived to the location where i launched my car i noticed that the drivers side left marks like - - - - . but the passenger side left a straight line ____. Thanks in advance.

- - - (drivers side)
____ (passenger side)
woah....

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
lemme get this straight... you have an auto, and neutral-dropped it... as in revving it in neutral and then throwing it in drive? if so, you might wanna consider investing in a new transmission before suspension. :lol:

·
Registered
769 Posts
:shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame:

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
You did that in your service loaner....r-i-g-h-t?
I know I've "tested" many things while using a rental or loaner 8)

As far as the wheel hop...
I have had the same problem. My suspension upgrades did not help. New tires (computer balanced) did not help. I would like to know this answer as well.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
redline814 said:
You did that in your service loaner....r-i-g-h-t?
I know I've "tested" many things while using a rental or loaner 8)

As far as the wheel hop...
I have had the same problem. My suspension upgrades did not help. New tires (computer balanced) did not help. I would like to know this answer as well.
Suspension will not help with our cars- :cry:

Wheel hop has ALWAYS been an issue for me and other IS owners at the track. The only way I have found to tame it is to play with your rear tire pressures. Fucking with the suspension has done little to nothing in my experience with this car.

-Chris

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
So, what is the best psi for launching the car with FI?

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
You can play around with rear tire pressure. Drop it down a little.

I learned this once when a tire place inflated my ES300's tires a little too much. The tires bounced violently when I gassed it from a stop.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what i was saying is in my 2002 auto there was no wheel hop but in my 2003 5spd standard there is:

- - - (drivers side)
____ (passenger side)

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Again, try your tire pressure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
haha live with it, have every brace and I still get it. Did you have the same tires on you auto? Potenza's seem to hop more then others.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
going4boost said:
haha live with it, have every brace and I still get it. Did you have the same tires on you auto? Potenza's seem to hop more then others.
on my 2002 auto i had dunlop potenza's, feels better than the bridgestone, IMO, but in the rain the dunlops had no traction.

sophiesleeps: what PSI would you reccommend? right now the tire pressures on both rear tires are 33PSI.

but what i can't understand is why does only one wheel hop? my wheels are balanced, and i don't get any vibration going above 80 MPH even at 110MPH i don't get vibration.

Do you members think that LSD might do the trick??

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
dragonblade said:
going4boost said:
on my 2002 auto i had dunlop potenza's, feels better than the bridgestone, IMO, but in the rain the dunlops had no traction.

sophiesleeps: what PSI would you reccommend? right now the tire pressures on both rear tires are 33PSI.

but what i can't understand is why does only one wheel hop? my wheels are balanced, and i don't get any vibration going above 80 MPH even at 110MPH i don't get vibration.

Do you members think that LSD might do the trick??
the bridgestones are potenza...the dunlop are sp9000's....

at 2000 rpm's u should NOT be getting that much wheel hop....i powerbrake at the racetrack and rev up to just under 3000 and rarely ever wheel hop/chirp.....

I dunno what the heck your doing.... :crazy:

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
regardless of LSD or not, you're not gonna get the same exact power and torque to the rear wheels. It just don't happen. I'd lower psi to 32lbs cold and adjust the rear suspension if y ou gots coils. If you're still getting hop, go down to 31psii.

Hopping isn't because of balancing issues. It's cause of intermittent traction and loss of traction.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
[at 2000 rpm's u should NOT be getting that much wheel hop....i powerbrake at the racetrack and rev up to just under 3000 and rarely ever wheel hop/chirp.....

He's got a 5spd though.

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
tsopranoMB said:
at 2000 rpm's u should NOT be getting that much wheel hop....i powerbrake at the racetrack and rev up to just under 3000 and rarely ever wheel hop/chirp.....

He's got a 5spd though.
yep I know.... :wink:

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
SophieSleeps said:
tsopranoMB said:

He's got a 5spd though.
yep I know.... :wink:
Hey man, it's a 5spd.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts