Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need to swap out my broken stock W55 with a W58. I have been calling junkyards all this morning.

I found a tranny from an 89 non-turbo Supra with only 13,000 miles for $350. I am on the fence of going to get it. It has been sitting inside since '90 from a wreck. So they know it runs. The guy is only offering basically a 7 day warranty just to make sure once I get it in it works.

1) If I get a transmission with around 85,000 miles on it from an SC300, how concerned should I be about it's reliability? Would/should I need to have it remanned? Versus one with 13,000 I imagine I wouldn't have that concern.

2) How concerned should I be with a transmission that has been sitting (in inside storage) for several years? Would this cause any damage or just take time to get the oil flowing in it and it should be fine?

Also I am very sure that the 89 non-turbo Supra, w/o ABS, I don't think the absence of ABS matters, (from the research on the W58 I have done) is the W58. But the junkyard is claiming it is a MA70, but he didn't know for sure. Can someone please confirm that this would be the W58.

Thanks,
Patrick

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
86-92 none turbo = W58
86-92 Turbo = R154
92-96 Turbo V160

abs connection on either unit is not necessary, it will work for our car with or without it. We just do not connect to it if it has it. No worrys. You will still need the correct bell housing whichever you chosse. for the R154 it is the 1JZGTE bell housing not sure about the W58

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wait so help me understand...I need to make sure that the W58 tranny I get has the right model bell housing to mate up against our's? Would that be the 7MGE for the 86-92 non-turbo Supra? What about the 93 Lex SC300?

What about remanning...no matter what any used transmission I get should I have it rebuilt before I get it installed?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I am currently running my spare gear box, a junkyard R154, and im dumpin 475hp into it and I drive it hard , its fine. For the R154 you must use the 1JZGTE bell housing, (the j-spec singl turbo supra bell housing.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh right....yeah I will have to use the W55 bellhousing...not a problem there.

What about buying a used W58 with 85,000 miles...looks like the one with 13,000 when the guys went out to bring it up it was lost :-( Is there any foreseeable problems with getting a used one with that many miles that has sat (inside) for several years that I should be concerned with?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts