Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I am purcahasing a set of s-tech springs (2") drop for my 2002 is and i have to decide which shocks to go with...i don't need crazy adjustables....just something for everyday that wont blow on me within a year. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
I'm looking at the Tokico Illuminas. They have 5 settings, i think.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
tokico HP's (aka tokico blues)

pretty cheap alternative.

koni is a popular brand, but expensive. bilstein reportedly does not work for cars lowered more than about an inch.

and FYI s-techs really do lower the IS closer to 1.5 inches.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Yeah get the tokico blues or the illumina adjustable. The illumina IMO is the better shock coz u can adjust it and make it work a certain way for you. I'd get the illumina if i were you, esp coz u don't know if the springs will give u more over or understeer than you want.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If you want a 2" drop, you should probably go with some H&Rs or something. I don't think those Tein S-Techs will give you the 2" drop that you want. I remember coming across some H&Rs for about 80 bucks or so in the member sale/trade forum. I agree with DAG, the illuminas are good shocks and i've heard nothing but good reviews. Besides, i'm pretty sure DAG could give you a pretty good deal on his Illuminas... ;)

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
Or he could give me a pretty good deal on his illuminas. PM sent.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so the H&R's sit lower than the s-techs....from pictures i have been looking at i thought the opposite. i defenitely want the lower of the two springs...you guys know of any others that are half decent springs and will get me a 2" drop ?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
well for me i jus got the tokico hp (blue) series being as i don't track the car and don't really plan to and because of that i jus couldn't see the benifit of the extra cash spent. besides from what i've read (here and elsewhere online) everyone with illumina shocks set them once and pretty much leave them be.

so, considering im a daily driver, oh and i forgot to mention im sitting on Htechs not Stechs so my drop is quite mild... i didn't see myself needing the ability to change my stiffness and anything else adjustables give you. overall i'd say the blues are about 30% or so stiffer then stock but you only feel it going over harsh roads otherwise feels fine :) but since you're on Stechs id say jus go with illuminas.

basically HP & Illumina shocks are 2 different types of shocks... and i don't mean non-adjustable & adjustable, i forget what you call it thou... go figure (someone with suspension lingo would know)... but basically HPs' are more or less made for oem/stock springs or mild drops while illuminas are designed for springs that lower a considerable amount. it has to do with the travel of the shock... so if you take springs that lower more then 1" then you obviously have a more compressed area compared to stock... and when using stock shocks with lowering springs the piston rod inside doesn't have full travel being as it sits in a somewhat compressed state because of the drop, which can add to the shortning of life to the shocks. illuminas on the otherhand are designed for more aggressive drops so the piston rod inside the strut has full travel with your lowering springs. my understanding is the piston rod is actually shorter in the illuminas (and other shocks of similar design) vs the HP series. or it may just be in the design the way the piston rod travels.
hope it makes sense... its kinda late here and im tired :)

oh yea best thing about tokicos is the lifetime warrany :)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Blues would not work cuz of the 2" drop. I'd say go with the illuminas.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
jdmls said:
hey guys I am purcahasing a set of s-tech springs (2") drop for my 2002 is and i have to decide which shocks to go with...i don't need crazy adjustables....just something for everyday that wont blow on me within a year. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Stech will not drop 2" btw :cool:

H&R yes
Stech: NO

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
MIZIKETSK said:
Blues would not work cuz of the 2" drop. I'd say go with the illuminas.
i've already said that in my post ;) but like imprimus said... Stechs dont lower 2" :lol: and if you do some research adjustables aren't always the best option it all depends on how you use your car... ie, at the track... autoX, drift, etc. thou i admit the illuminas are better overall :) i personally jus don't need the extra adjustments.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
another quick question for you guys.... aparently with illuminas you can adjust them to lower the car another additional 0.5". is this true ? After all of your responses I am proabably going to go with the H and R springs because they are lower.

I asked this before but does anyone know of any other springs that sit lower than the HandR's

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
H&R springs all the way.

BTW people are selling their Tokico shocks for Koni's, I know for a fact cause I am one of them.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I have s techs with the illuminas and i love the ride and the height of the car. But with the illuminas you pay more for a better product. Oh yeah I have only played with the setting twice in 5 months.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
does anyone agreethat the Koni's are a better shock ? I really don't need the adjustability of the illuminas nut i dont want shock that will blow on me. Will the koni's withstand the HandR springs...which Koni's are prefered ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts