Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to take my springs off my shocks without a coil compressor. Anyone know how can i do it?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I don't know if you can do it without, but you can rent one from a local automotive store and return it. They'll likely give you your deposit back, too.

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
I need to take my springs off my shocks without a coil compressor. Anyone know how can i do it?
Yes, you can do it and no I'm not gonna tell you how because I don't want to be responsible if you get hurt.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
make sure when you try the first one out, you have something to record video of it so that the rest of us know what NOT to do. just rent a compressor. its cheaper than a hosiptal bill or funeral arrangements.

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
^^^ I agree. You can rent it at AutoZone "free". Well of course there is a $50 deposit but you get it all back when you return it.

Be safe, do it once, do it the right way. :approve:

·
Registered
27 Posts
ur gonna shoot ur eye out!

i know that at lots of auto stores they sell spring compressor tools that attach to either side of the spring and hand clamp down. lots cheaper than the RIGHT tool, but tricky and somewhat dangerous!
whatever you do, don't pull the nut off that shock until the spring is damn near loose!

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
listen to the others. there are dumb ways of doing things, and removing springs without a compressor is one of those dumb ways of doing things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts