Lexus IS Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Oh I know you weren't trying to be a dick, it's all good. I know exactly what you meant.

Yeah, I'm just glad this didn't happen while I was driving or under load. I think the damage to the pistons will be minimal, at least I'm hoping.

I've called a couple machine shops about doing a valve job. The first one said $500 in labor alone, another said about $960 labor and parts at the VERY most, but they'd work with me on it.

This is starting to irritate me, cause I had a 5-angle valve job, new guides, all seating and everything done on my Daytona head (4 cyl, 8 valve), and it was like $250!! Oh well.

I would like to do oversized valves, but if just doing a regular job like this is going to be so damned expensive, then no oversized shit for me. :cry:

I need to open my own damned machine shop!! :pissed:

Kane

bpointer said:
Understandable. I hope you didnt think I was trying to be a dick. I know how bad this sucks. I got rid of my IS and bought a 90 Eclipse GSX that had a bad motor in it. Since I cant ever do anything halfway, I payed Buschur Racing a bundle of money to build me one of their stage 3 racing shortblocks. After a 42 hour bender putting the car together and getting it on the road, I dorve it for all of 3 days before the timing belt jumped and bent all of the valves. Dents in the pistons with all of 100 miles on em. 500 dollars later, I have connections still, I got it back on the road but what a nightmare. I hope that no one I know ever has to hear valves hitting pistons. :cry:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
DL said:
Kanine21 said:
Hey PETER!! ANSWER YOUR PHONE!! I got a few things I gotta order from ya'! hahaha
You too huh, lol. Last I heard from Ryan was last Thursday and he said they had 20 or so cars in the shop that needed to go out ASAP. Left a couple of messages but I guess they've been pretty busy.
Peter is in North carolina, will be back at the shop monday.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yeha, I got hold of Ryan today and he took care of me. All the guys there are pretty damn cool.

Anyway, HG is on the way, extra head from the race car is on the way thanks to David!

I got my head off tonight and there is NO damage to the pistons at all, 6 of the exhaust valves broke at the end of the stem where they're supposed/designed to. Only potential problem is that one of the broken valves came back up into the head and hit a valve seat, which means my casting will need to be inspected, and MIGHT be machinable if I get oversized valves, which I want to do anyway.

So, tomorrow I'll be getting that other head and if it's ok on the top side, I'll be taking it into the machine shop to get the valve shims lash adjusted to the cams on Saturday or Monday so i have a stock head, and I'll also be looking into getting my casting done for oversized valves and port matched/polished later on down the road.

All in all, things are better than I had thought. With the valve breaking in their stress relief point, i avoided possible nasty piston damage all together.

Thanks again for all the support guys, things are starting to roll.

Kane

ltuned&boosted said:
DL said:
Kanine21 said:
Hey PETER!! ANSWER YOUR PHONE!! I got a few things I gotta order from ya'! hahaha
You too huh, lol. Last I heard from Ryan was last Thursday and he said they had 20 or so cars in the shop that needed to go out ASAP. Left a couple of messages but I guess they've been pretty busy.
Peter is in North carolina, will be back at the shop monday.

·
Premium Member
14,412 Posts
ur welcome ~

David

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Just an update for those who might care:

I got the head from the old race car engine on friday thanks to David!! (is300soon), And it was in great shape, except two of the #2 cylinder exhaust valves were bent slightly and don't quite seal up. That the cylinder that got hydrolocked.

SO right now both heads are at the machine shop. They're going to take two of my good valves and put them in the other casting replacing the bent valves. Then they're going to adjust the valves/shims.

I gave them all 48 shims and the cams to work with, so they should be able to get me a complete head tomorrow afternoon they said for under $400.

Not to mention they'll be cleaning the hell out of it and make it purdy again.

Anybody have some good suggestions for taking the crank pulley off? It's held on by 243 ft-lbs and I don't how to lock up the engine so it won't rotate when I try to take it off. (No wise cracks please!! :lol: )

Thanks everyone,

Kane

·
Registered
608 Posts
use a monkey wrench....no kidding. if u take a monkey wrench and clamp it to the lip of the pulley, then put ur breaker bar on the nut, pull on one and push on the other. it always works for me althought it will put some small chips in the crank pulley. not big enough to do and damage to the belt or throw it off balance tho. in some cases i had to get a metal pipe to put over the monkey wrench handle and rest it either against the frame or the ground. becareful cuz it might slip. good luck, hope that helps

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
phamous101 said:
ohhh, but first u should try a really powerfull air impact gun!!!
I don't think I can get my impact gun in there. It's so close to the radiator.

I'm not sure about putting a monkey wrench on the pulley though, don't wanna cut into the grooves if I can avoid it.

I'll see what I can MacGuyver up though.

Kane

·
Premium Member
14,412 Posts
There is actully a bit of work to do, you also have to undo the hood latch area, support beam for headlights, take out the condensor and a few other things.

UGH !

David

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well, the car is up and running again.

I got my head back yesterday (11/6), and started doing some small stuff on it before I had to leave for a bday party.

Anyway, I started working on it today at about 12:00, and worked non-stop till about 8:30. Took a hydrocodone to let the ankle's heal up a bit before I went back out in the cold.

My Dad helped me pretty much all day long, and together we got my baby running at about 11:00 tonight.

I have yet to hook up the wideband and start doing some driving with it, but for now it actually runs and revs great. When I shut it off, it quits NOW, indicating awesome compression! haha..

The cam gear is on and retarded 3 degrees, the PFS exhaust is on and sounds AWESOME so far, can't wait to hear it scream!

Anyway, I'll be finishing up the wideband install and everything on Sunday.

Any PFS owners install thier own wideband yet? I have the o2 sensor in, but I gotta wire it up now.

Thanks again for everybody's help and support through this crappy ordeal.

Kane

·
Registered
670 Posts
It's GOOD to hear that your car is up and running!!!.... I guess I should cheked your place before I came home...

See ya....

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Hey, Thanks Marc!

I'm so happy to have her spinning again. It was a horrible 2 weeks, but it's all coming out good.

Hey Shawn, we SHOULD be able to do your brakes next weekend, cool?

Kane

Wxman said:
Kanine, it is good to see that things are working out for you. Congrats on getting the car up and running again!

·
Registered
670 Posts
SOUNDS VERY GOOD~~ :lol:

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.