Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm trying to install my new cam gear and found that on the stock exhaust gear, the dowel pin locator is NOT lined up with the white dot signifying 12:00 or TDC. But on the HKS, the dowel pin IS lined up directly with the 12:00 or TDC mark.

WTF is going on? this makes the HKS retarded by like 30 degrees or something.

The part number is 2204-RT002, which is the part number listed on HKS site.

Anybody have a clue?

Thanks,

Kane

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
I think it has something to do with vvti.

The service manual should say something bout it.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I can help you. I know the answer!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
... thought I would elaborate ...

The dots you have been aligning to are not Top Dead Center. They are 30 degrees off TDC. There are actually two machined slots in the CAM gears. This is what is really TDC. The sure way of finding out TDC is to remove number 1 spark plug and stick a clean screwdriver in the hole and using a wrench, turn the crank until you find it. That's how I found TDC and noticed the dots are off my about 30 degrees. You should find that the CAM slot lines up

Good Luck!

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
turbo97se said:
... thought I would elaborate ...

The dots you have been aligning to are not Top Dead Center. They are 30 degrees off TDC. There are actually two machined slots in the CAM gears. This is what is really TDC. The sure way of finding out TDC is to remove number 1 spark plug and stick a clean screwdriver in the hole and using a wrench, turn the crank until you find it. That's how I found TDC and noticed the dots are off my about 30 degrees. You should find that the CAM slot lines up

Good Luck!
as I remember this is correct. the dots and white line on the crank pulley are for alignment. The crank pulley also has a tdc line as well(i think it's yellow, but I'd have to look at it all to remember).

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, I got that part figured out last night finally.

Now I have a different problem. When I try to rotate the crank by hand (wrench), it will only turn about 1/8 turn, maybe a little more.

It locks after 1/8 turn in either direction. It does this with the cam belt on the cams or off. I thought it might be sucking the cam belt down and doubling up, but it's not. I took all the spark plugs out to get rid of any compression, but that doesn't help at all, once it gets to that point, it's LOCKED! WIll not even budge. I'm trying not to push too hard incase something fell down in the cam cover and is wedging itself between the belt and cam drive gear on the crank.

I don't want to take the lower cam gear cover off, but I just might have to. All hardware and tools are accounted for, and I've stuck both a grabber and magnet down there, no luck.

I don't really know for sure if something DID fall in there, but that's what it acts like.

This plus I blew out a gasket between the wastegate and manifold and it's been blowing carbon all on the underside of my throttle body. Trying to find a gasket right now, not too much luck on a Sunday.

What a shitty ass weekend!! :pissed:

Kane

·
Registered
608 Posts
becareful.... im not sure if IS3's are interference motors or not but if u dont have the crank and cams timed right, the pistons could be hitting the valves!!!! dont try to start it untill u can turn the crank all the way around a couple of times by hand

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
phamous101 said:
becareful.... im not sure if IS3's are interference motors or not but if u dont have the crank and cams timed right, the pistons could be hitting the valves!!!! dont try to start it untill u can turn the crank all the way around a couple of times by hand
You may be absolutly right. I thought for sure that the engine was non-interference, but I believe the valves are hitting and I might possibly have screwed them up.

Might have to take the head off tomorrow to check it out, but I fear the worst.

Fuck, can't believe a fricken cam gear install turned into shit so fast.

RIGHT before I get my exhaust and wideband too, yeah, how magical. :roll:

I'll keep you guys updated,

Kane

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Kanine21 said:
phamous101 said:
You may be absolutly right. I thought for sure that the engine was non-interference, but I believe the valves are hitting and I might possibly have screwed them up.

Might have to take the head off tomorrow to check it out, but I fear the worst.

f*ck, can't believe a fricken cam gear install turned into sh*t so fast.

RIGHT before I get my exhaust and wideband too, yeah, how magical. :roll:

I'll keep you guys updated,

Kane
The IS300 motors are INTERFERENCE motors, you must not turn the crank once you have the crank aligned for changing the timing belt (same procedure for changing the cam gears). The alignment procedure is to rotate the crank until you have the #1 piston on TDC; check for the cam mark with the cam cover and align the WHITE mark on the crank pulley to 0. Then Rotate the Crank Pulley Counter Clockwise 60 degrees until the YELLOW mark on the crank pulley lines upto 0. The cams should be exactly FOUR teeth away from TDC. Now you can change the Timing belt, Cam gears, Cams, etc. It is very helpful to remove all the T/B covers when doing this. Good Luck.

PS. Before taking the head off, put everything back together and check your compression to see if you damaged anything. i.e. bent any valves.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Wow! I thought Toyota motors without a chain (i.e. with CAM belt) were non-interference. I learned something new today! Hmmm ... I thought you were not supposed to turn the crank counter-clockwise? Maybe a little is OK.
Swift Racing Technologies said:
The IS300 motors are INTERFERENCE motors, you must not turn the crank once you have the crank aligned for changing the timing belt (same procedure for changing the cam gears). The alignment procedure is to rotate the crank until you have the #1 piston on TDC; check for the cam mark with the cam cover and align the WHITE mark on the crank pulley to 0. Then Rotate the Crank Pulley Counter Clockwise 60 degrees until the YELLOW mark on the crank pulley lines upto 0. The cams should be exactly FOUR teeth away from TDC. Now you can change the Timing belt, Cam gears, Cams, etc. It is very helpful to remove all the T/B covers when doing this. Good Luck.

PS. Before taking the head off, put everything back together and check your compression to see if you damaged anything. i.e. bent any valves.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know for a fact I've read on here several times that these motors are non-interference. What a shitty way to find out that it's not!

Thanks for the tip Mo, I'll try it after work and see what I can do. As of right now, I believe I fucked my valves up. :pissed: :cry:

Kane

turbo97se said:
Wow! I thought Toyota motors without a chain (i.e. with CAM belt) were non-interference. I learned something new today! Hmmm ... I thought you were not supposed to turn the crank counter-clockwise? Maybe a little is OK.
Swift Racing Technologies said:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.