Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that I have read that the graphite polished wheels come with a different tire...a Michelin perhaps....i honestly don't remember. Any way, can anyone confirm or deny this? And if so, how does this other tire compare to the Potenza?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Last summer Lexus was sourcing the 17 inch tires from both Bridgestone and Goodyear. I don't know if both tires are still showing up or not. I also don't recall any correlation between wheel type and tire manufacturer. As a single point of reference, my graphites have Goodyears on them.

Terry

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So are the Goodyear tires the same specs...215/45 's? How about treadwear? Do they last a bit longer than the Potenzas?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Here is what I know:

1> My graphite wheels came with the Bridgestone Potenza RE040's in 215/45-17 size.
2> I have seen many IS300s with Goodyear GS-D in 215/45-17.
3> I was told that approx 66% of IS300s come with the Goodyears and 33% with the Bridgestones.
4> I was told that the Bridgestones are _slightly_ more grippy, but don't last as long.
5> Both tires are very high performance, "summer" (they don't perform well when very cold) tires.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
And of course there are some IS300s with 16" wheels and different "all season" tires. I don't know any of the details on which tires come with the 16" wheels.

Apparently they don't normally bring any IS300s into California with the 16" wheels right now.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Personally I have a few things against the RE040. One is that the temperature required to maintain the traction is relatively high and the tire seem to drop off that operating temperature relatively quick. Basically I cannot do hard acceleration when I stopped at a stop sign and the temperature is lower than 60 degree. The tires will just skip (not slip) because of the traction gain and lost transition.
My S02 just came yesterday, so hopefully that will be the fix for this problem.
One note, my RE040's tread life has been relatively good so far. I have almost 13K miles and the tires are about 1/2 or 2/3 worn in the back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Daniel
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing