Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I discovered this bit of damage on the right side of the vehicle in the trunk area. It's an altezza(RHD) so it's the driver's side. Any advice on how to go about fixing it?

Seems like the vehicle was in a rear collision and was poorly fixed.

Automotive parking light Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tire

Automotive tire Aircraft Motor vehicle Hood Tread

Automotive tire Wood Fender Automotive lighting Tints and shades

Wood Tints and shades Concrete Metal Ceiling

Automotive tire Grey Wood Tints and shades Automotive design

·
Registered
120 Posts
If I’m seeing what your talking about looks like I would cut it all out and fabricate a new piece and weld it in and obviously make sure to reclean and paint it.

·
Registered
2002 is300
461 Posts
looks like the seal sealer cracked, there's a bit of rust in the corner, maybe some bondo in there too, interesting thing to do if so. I chip that seal sealer out clean it all down to bare metal and see what the damage looks like. Looks like the back bit of the trunk wasn't pull out right. I don't think that'll hurt anything maybe some weird interior piece fitment though. Doesn't lool bad some new seal sealer rust coating and maybe some work with a hammer to tap the small stuff back out looks like it should be ok.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like the seal sealer cracked, there's a bit of rust in the corner, maybe some bondo in there too, interesting thing to do if so. I chip that seal sealer out clean it all down to bare metal and see what the damage looks like. Looks like the back bit of the trunk wasn't pull out right. I don't think that'll hurt anything maybe some weird interior piece fitment though. Doesn't lool bad some new seal sealer rust coating and maybe some work with a hammer to tap the small stuff back out looks like it should be ok.
Yup there is Bondo behind the tail light pocket as you see there. First time I've ever seen anything like that in my life.

I'll grind it all out though and do what you said. I'm thinking some coats of expoxy primer together with the fresh seam sealer should be good for now after I bring the bare metal back.
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

I managed to score a clean rear panel today that I'd be keeping in storage. Way out of my scope of capabilities to replace but I'd have that done when I'm respraying the car in the future.

·
Registered
2002 is300
461 Posts
Yup there is Bondo behind the tail light pocket as you see there. First time I've ever seen anything like that in my life.

I'll grind it all out though and do what you said. I'm thinking some coats of expoxy primer together with the fresh seam sealer should be good for now after I bring the bare metal back.
View attachment 141707

I managed to score a clean rear panel today that I'd be keeping in storage. Way out of my scope of capabilities to replace but I'd have that done when I'm respraying the car in the future.
Some seam sealer and then rustoleam sells some rust a away spray paint then I layer some rubberized undercoating on that. seems to work well maybe a little over kill for a trunk. I'd beat the big dents out and call it good won't hurt anything as long as the tail lights trunk and bumper all line up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some seam sealer and then rustoleam sells some rust a away spray paint then I layer some rubberized undercoating on that. seems to work well maybe a little over kill for a trunk. I'd beat the big dents out and call it good won't hurt anything as long as the tail lights trunk and bumper all line up.
Yeah the trunk closes and opens without any issues and the light fits. Not sure how easy the light is to remove, I'll find out when i pick the car up 🤣

Will post more pics when i pick the car up and scrap the trunk out. I do remember that the lip that runs on the lower panel that seats the trunk rubber was bent so I'll probably have to straighten it with a vise grip with some tape in it's jaws.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One unrelated question.

The vehicle has the chassis number stamped onto the firewall as well as there is a sticker on the passenger side B pillar. Should there be a tag rivetted on to the firewall as well behind? I'm seeing the holes there for it but not tag. Doesn't seem like it was drilled out though as the holes are not mangled or anything, no dents in that area as well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts