Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k. here's the deal. Installed rear spoiler with brake light already on spoiler. Disabled/unplugged IS rear brake light (in car) Now I get a warning light on dash indicating rear light is not working. All lights work fine now but the damn warning light needs to be disabled??? Tried the old school approach on 'looping' the plug on the stock brake light plug, that didn't work, just blew the fuse and the car wouldn't shift out of park, freaked me out for a moment thinking I had shorted the whole car? Anysuggestions on making the car to think the circuit is working?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Um, my guess would be that you need a resistor that draws the same current as the rear bulb.

(or you could just attach the old bulb but mount it somewhere in the trunk if you don't want it to show out the rear window).

Anyways, the "right way" to do it would be to hook up the old rear window light through an amp meter to see how much current it draws while it is on. Then find the right impedance and wattage of resistor to put in place of the bulb so that it keeps the "burnt out bulb" detector happy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You TEG...I knew you would know..I am going to try it and see what happens.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by TEG:
Um, my guess would be that you need a resistor that draws the same current as the rear bulb.

(or you could just attach the old bulb but mount it somewhere in the trunk if you don't want it to show out the rear window).

Anyways, the "right way" to do it would be to hook up the old rear window light through an amp meter to see how much current it draws while it is on. Then find the right impedance and wattage of resistor to put in place of the bulb so that it keeps the "burnt out bulb" detector happy.
O/k New problem guys and TEG. I tried two things first - 1. Wrapping a heat resistant tape around the rear third brake light bulb to tuck away. Well after a while that started to smoke ?? That didn't work. 2. When I had the bulb in the proper place in the rear light, my 'warning' light was still on? What gives? Could it be that when I had my wing installed they tapped into the brake light wire for the larger rears and the car is detecting that?? Damn this car is too smart for it's own good Help. I hate that warning light !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts