Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -

I just had installed two JL 10w6v2 subs and a JL 500/1 in a custom box in the trunk. The guy at the shop was showing it off, and it definitely hit hard and sounds good and clean and there is minimal vibration. But it's too much bass! Even when I set the bass on the CD player to -5, it still is way too hard. It also sounds like the crossover is not in the right place, because deep notes hit really hard and not-as-deep notes just get completely ignored by the system.

All I want from this system is nice clean bass to accentuate the music. I'm not looking to vibrate the pavement on the street to pieces. I just want to "feel" the bass. I know my system can do it, it's just configured wrong. But I don't have a clue what all the options of my amp do and what an ideal configuration should be.

Can anyone guide me on what the ideal crossovers and such are. Maybe someone with a JL 500/1 can tell me which dials and settings make the biggest difference or maybe what they have theirs set to?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
8,743 Posts
I have a 1000/1 for my sub, but i dont use the xover on the amp. It goes through my dts processor. Best thing i can tell ya, is get a good sample song, and repeat it, and make small adjustments on the gain and xover freqs on the amp. Just tune to what sounds good to you.

·
8,827 Posts
If you've added subs to the stock setup, you may want to have signal coming from AUX OUT (MOD) into the amp rather than LLC.

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
agreed.. you should just turn down the gain on your amp that way you can leave your stereo settings at normal levels.

btw if you wanted to only accentuate the music, i think 2 10" JL's are a bit overkill... :lol:

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
irv_usc said:
btw if you wanted to only accentuate the music, i think 2 10" JL's are a bit overkill... :lol:
Hahaha! :lol:

That's what I told the shop, too. I originally suggested 1 10" sub and they said to get two. It's strange, I absolutely love how it sounds when I play rock music. It just seems to be the bass lines in techno and rap that are way too much. I looked around the JL website and found a place that explains how to adjust the bass boost, so I might try that as well as adjusting the gain. I'll play around til I find what sounds right. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Don't want to thread jack, but I was planning on going with 2 10's also for just a little more thump than stock. I want clean bass, but not overwhelming bass. I've been there, done that with previous cars. If 2 10's is too much, what is "just right"?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
xencloud said:
Don't want to thread jack, but I was planning on going with 2 10's also for just a little more thump than stock. I want clean bass, but not overwhelming bass. I've been there, done that with previous cars. If 2 10's is too much, what is "just right"?
2 10"s is perfect IMO. I think it's just his gains set too high.... when your gains are set high you get bad bass IMO.

3 10" Phoenix gold Tantrums sounded pretty good.... i'm getting 2 10" Phoenix gold Titaniums put on my car as we speak right now.... w/ the Brutus....1000w.. :chill: Just get a sub and amp combo that'll provide you with good SQ.... power that biotch up and you'll be surprised how good the bass is.

My opinion.... 1 10" IDMAX w/ the right amp. Perfection for most!!!

·
Registered
769 Posts
xencloud said:
It depends on what you want. Remember your stereo does have a volume knob and your amp has an adjustable gain. If you want clean, then you will want at least a little more stereo than you need. This way it won't be running at peak load 85-100% all of the time, just like you don't drive your car at 5.5k-7k rpms all the time. If you really want clean, without a boom at all, then you should stick with 8's or get a good set of 6x9"s. Remeber, subwoofers are designed to generate bass! 8's put out a nice midrange and can hit some lower notes too, but there's practically no chance they could be overwelming or "boomy" unless you use a bunch of them.

I have 2 12w6v2's in my trunk and they sound very clean. They have the added benefit of being loud as hell too, when I want them to. If you set up your system properly, you can get a great sound without it being to boomy. You might want to check your deck to see if it has a gain for the subs built in. I find this to be very handy when switching from one type of music to another.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.