Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have side skirts made out of fiberglass that have a scoop at the end, and I want to fill it. Should I use bondo or fiberglass?? I have some questions..
1. what can I use so that the paint doesnt wear differently in that area?
2. can anybody tell me step by step directions?
Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
which side skirts are they?? depending on how big the scoop is you can use bondo, but I would recommend taking it to a body shop and letting them do it and paint over it professionally. it will look alot better prolly. they shouldnt charge you too much for something that small

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sides

the scoop is about 7''x3'' and an Inch deep. Everyone keeps telling me to use bondo, but will the paint wear the same? they are the team netz sides

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Re: sides

thelex-IS said:
the scoop is about 7''x3'' and an Inch deep. Everyone keeps telling me to use bondo, but will the paint wear the same? they are the team netz sides
as long as it is prepped and painted correctly it will be fine. AND as long as it is bondo'd correctly it will be fine. but it has to be perfect. a haircrack line or a needle sized hole will show up through that bondo alot more than you might think. although its the side skirts it will be low to the ground not many people will notice too much if there are slight imperfections, I dont think I would worry too much about it. just do a good job with the bondo and with the paint and you'll be fine

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
doesn't bondo change size over time?

I've seen a few cars who shaved their side moldings (around 5 years or so ago) and now the paint is starting to crack.

Reputable shops that I've talked to say that you shouldn't use bondo as a filler because its a very weak material and starts to change over time. They actually weld metal over the gaps where the old molding was and then prep and paint as opposed to bondo.

I would ask how much it would be to relay fiberglass to fill in those holes, bondo is cheaper, but fiberglass isn't that expensive either. I think its how long you want to keep the car for, it shouldn't matter if you only plan to keep the skirts for < 5 years or so.

·
Premium Member
7,976 Posts
wtf? You're gonng bondo a scoop on the sideskirt? You you fucking out of your mind. Most likely, just a little tap on the spot will definitely give it a stress crack. You will need to first cover the hole (scoop) with fiberglass, to reinforce the bondo. Bondo is very brittle. Hence, at most bodyshop we tend to use the least amount of body as possible. Most likely you will find it difficult to cover a whole with bondo anyways. :lol: Be concern with the strength of the product you are using, not color affect.

If the correct primer and prep up work is done, there shouldnt be a color change.

Here is 2 cents. If you have doubt, don't do it. Bring it to someone who is familiar with the repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts