Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been covered already. Hopefully lisnup can help me out with this one.

I've had the Kenwood 911DVD hooked up for a while. Right now, though, it's hooked up to the e-brake light so that I can only watch it when stopped. Obviously, I dont want to watch when I'm driving. But how do I set it up so that it works while the car is moving, so passengers can watch or play games or whatever?

I know it would involve taking a wire that's currently hooked up to the brake light and hooking it up to something else so that it "thinks" the brake light is always on. But where is this wire, most likely? And what can I hook it up to?

Thanks.. :oops:

·
Registered
815 Posts
It's the green wire.... I didn't tell you though! :wink:

I had the 910 wired to the emergency brake and all i had to do was raise the emergency brake up one click. the e-brake does not engage fully unless it is all the way up but you'll get that annoying "door open sound" while driving.

·
8,849 Posts
Please, don't drive with e-brake even partially on.
Ground the wire and be done with it. No need to put an extra stress on e-brake mechanism.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.... So if I ground that e-brake wire, is it going to affect anythign else in the car? (i.e. the light or that annoying little door open ding?)

·
8,849 Posts
If you ground only wire going into your headunit then nothing else, but the headunit will be affected. If you leave it connected to the e-brake and then ground it, the e-brake signal will be always on.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vlad_a said:
If you ground only wire going into your headunit then nothing else, but the headunit will be affected. If you leave it connected to the e-brake and then ground it, the e-brake signal will be always on.
K, and the green wire mentioned before, is that the headunit wire or the ebrake wire? Sorry if this is a bother. I really appreciate the help. Thanks again.

·
8,849 Posts
Green is the headunit wire.
If it is already wired into the e-brake, you need to cut it and ground the end that goes into the headunit. You may do that behind the headunit. If you look at the harness diagram on the headunit, you should be able to identify this wire easily.

·
8,743 Posts
i have an alpine which is a little different. It requires a sequence of holding the brake, and engaging the ebrake to enable front screen viewing. So if I just grounded mine, i would not be able to do the sequence and it would not work. So, i tapped off the lead going to the ebrake, then ran it to a toggle in the glove box and grounded it. By doing it this way, the ebrake method still works as it should (if i get pulled over) but i can do it off the toggle without even engaging the ebrake. I do get the brake light and the ding noise when the toggle is active, but if I have it off , it goes away.

To me this was the best solution.

Just remember, if your watching a dvd up front and a cop see's you, its a big fine. Not to mention beeing distracted. This is my third car with dvd in the dash, so i am somewhat used to having it. But my first screen almost caused more than a few accidents. BE CAREFULL!!!!!!!! WATCH THE ROAD NOT THE MOVIE.

good luck. :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
NAV System

Hi Guys

I'm new to here, I recently purchase a Toyota Altezza 1999, It came built in with Nav/Tv System I can pick up the local TV stations it works ok, but what I was wondering if there is a way to hook up a dvd Player to the Nav/Tv monitor. I have a boss car dvd player.

Do you guys know a way?

Thanks
Al

·
8,849 Posts
Re: NAV System

alim said:
Hi Guys

I'm new to here, I recently purchase a Toyota Altezza 1999, It came built in with Nav/Tv System I can pick up the local TV stations it works ok, but what I was wondering if there is a way to hook up a dvd Player to the Nav/Tv monitor. I have a boss car dvd player.

Do you guys know a way?

Thanks
Al
If your headunit has video/audio in, and I am assuming that it does, considering it is most likely to use aftermarket TV tuner, all you need to do is to install a DVD player and plug video/audio out from it to the headunit. A switcher may be needed, if one is not already built in into the headunit, to switch between TV-tuner and DVD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tv/Navigation system

Hi

the navigation is the original that came with the car it's actually from japan
it has the japan map and it's all in japenese, The TV can oick the loacal tv station due to the fact that I'm from the caribbean, I check but I can't see any audio/video input not sure if Toyota will make the Altezza like that though ?? please tel me what you think

Thanks
Al

·
8,849 Posts
There must be some way the TV tuner is feeding the signal into the NAV. It is remotely possible that Japanese version of NAV has the TV tuner built in. I do remember something being mentioned a few years ago.

If that is the case, you may have to look for a device to override NAV output to the monitor, such as seen on AVElectronics.com. Plus, Audio input will need to be created. A simple FM converter will do the job (quality won't be great, though).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.