Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to purchase a nice BMX bike for my son. Needs to be a good quality bike with potential for "mods" so he can interchange some parts. I would appreciate any info you could share, I have no clue as to who produces the good bikes these days.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I am out of the loop but I believe some brands are timeless like Robinson, GT and Mongoose. This time of year you should be able to find a buyers guide in a good magazine shop.

PS Dad, Spend alot of money

·
Registered
375 Posts
When I was you me and my cousin used to race bmx and had a blast working on them.

I recommend a Powerlite or Robinson (They're both racing divisions of GT bicycles). Free Agent are also good but are not as popular.

An easy way to tell if its a quality bike or not is by the cranks. Cheaper bikes has a one piece crank while the nice ones are three piece.

Haro's are also good bikes.
Mongoose's name has been tainted due to them manufacturing some real cheapos.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I rode a Haro when I was a kid, and now my son rides a Haro. In my Biased opinion the ar ethe best frame and fork set out there. Their "Stock" bikes are fairly equipped, but I would mod the crank set first, on some of the lower model bikes, as they only come wiht 1 piece crank set. About $300 for lower models and you get a pretty damn good bike!

·
Registered
727 Posts
i had a orange gt performer so i'd say either gt or haros are really nice too.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
i had a dyno vfr when i was little and it was stolen so i bought a powerlite, that bike was so much better, i never did get 3 piece cranks or my elf blast bars, my other friend had a robinson and that was nice too, DK is also a good brand, at least it was when i rode bikes

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
T2Trent said:
I rode a Haro when I was a kid, and now my son rides a Haro. In my Biased opinion the ar ethe best frame and fork set out there. Their "Stock" bikes are fairly equipped, but I would mod the crank set first, on some of the lower model bikes, as they only come wiht 1 piece crank set. About $300 for lower models and you get a pretty damn good bike!
yeah, haro = kickass.

i got a gt vertigo when i was 14ish, still got the pimp.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have pretty much settled on the Haro, just trying to find the right price. Looks like about $250 for a Nyquist backtrailX2, maybe spring for an X3. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
s0yb0mb said:
i wish my next mtn bike was that cheap... maybe then i could actually afford it!
I saw some pretty advanced mountain bikes today. I couldn't believe they had disc brakes! Full suspension with 7-8 inches of travel. They were obviously pretty expensive in excess of $2500, but they were very trick.

As far as paying $250 for a BMX bike, that is a pretty healthy fee for a "kids bike". Perhaps one of you could share some of your massive fortune or maybe just let me grab a couple of the bills stuck to your shoes?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I dont know what kind of bike (99 or 00 haro blammo) your son wants but i could sell you mine for 450 and its worth about 1150 with all that parts, so he wouldnt have to do any mods their all done

·
Registered
49 Posts
I dont know what kind of bike (99 or 00 haro blammo) your son wants but i could sell you mine for 450 and its worth about 1150 with all that parts, so he wouldnt have to do any mods their all done

·
Registered
81 Posts
In my experience managing bike shops in the past,
I'd tell you to go with the haro. those things are sooo inexpensive for the money. three piece cranks and cromoly bars...good

I ride a "Fit" http://www.fitbikeco.com
This company is owned by the timeless Bryan Foster...super old school AA racer that now rides street with the best of them...and Robbie Morales...no words needed.
At this point, these guys are only selling frames and parts...no complete bikes.

Other brands to look at would be :
S & M bikes http://www.sandmbikes.com
Volume Bikes http://www.volumebikes.com (these guys are selling complete bikes now also I think)

good deals can be found at http://www.danscomp.com
these guys are THE best deal around...but remember, if you buy mail order your local bike shop won't like you and be a dick to you if you want them to fix your busted mail order bike.

BTW, the "Props Road Fools" video series are good for the kids also...

If your kid is planning on doing ANYTHING involving "street" or ramps...
make sure to get 14mm axles and 48 hole wheels. If not, you'll go through rear wheels and parts so fast your checkbook is going faint.

In the bike industry, you get EXACTLY what you pay for.
DO NOT BUY:
Mongoose
Schwinn
Both these companies are not ones you want to support now.

Good luck with the kid riding the bike!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
12 Participants
guywiththebike
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing