Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I came back from work this evening,
I saw my car leaning/tilted slightly towards its left. I initially thought that it was caused my garage's uneven pavement, but upon further inspection, I found out that the gap between the wheels to the fender were more loose on the right side, and deeper on the left's side (about 1 inch different).

some past information: I got into a small accident about half year ago where my car spun and hit the curb on the right side's. It messed up my car's alignment terribly and put some scratches to both wheels (and God knows if there were perhaps some other problems).

The car has been balanced and aligned (spelling?) after the accident, it has one year warranty on the alignment, and I will probably bring the car back for a check up.

My question: how should I address this problem to the suspension shop? from my brief description, do you guys think that the problem was caused some alignment problem? If not, perhaps some short prediction/description to the problem?

Thanks, in advance, +rep for all help and advises.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Same thing happend to me. Got into a minor accident about 9 months ago. Shop said nothing was wrong with my suspension. However, the car floats a lot more now and leans toward the driver's side. The front-driver's side is about 1-2 inches lower than the passenger side.

I'm gonna bring it in to Lexus today to have a look.

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
The IS is based on a rhd chassis. Relocating the steering to the driver's side might cause the lean.

I've heard people saying this, but I don't believe it. I'd have it inspected.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Yeah my car sits a little lower on the left side too. I think it's coz the left side is heavier with the steering column and all.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FourT6and2 said:
Same thing happend to me. Got into a minor accident about 9 months ago. Shop said nothing was wrong with my suspension. However, the car floats a lot more now and leans toward the driver's side. The front-driver's side is about 1-2 inches lower than the passenger side.

I'm gonna bring it in to Lexus today to have a look.
Any words from Lexus?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Benign said:
Any words from Lexus?
I measured the front left and right from the ground to the center of each fender on three different level surfaces and came up with almost an inch difference. I brought it to lexus and they measured a 1/8 of an inch difference. They agreed that the car looked lopsided and uneven. However, they blamed the floaty and loose ride on my Ltuned sway bars (factory aproved and sold on a few stock IS's) and my PLP tower bars. They said the eneven height was normal and nothing was wrong...

I don't believe them.

Sway bars and strut bars do not affect ride height, they affect lateral weight transfer.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
my car seems to higher on the passenger side than the drivers side ...i dunno why tho

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
Benign said:
When I came back from work this evening,
I saw my car leaning/tilted slightly towards its left. I initially thought that it was caused my garage's uneven pavement, but upon further inspection, I found out that the gap between the wheels to the fender were more loose on the right side, and deeper on the left's side (about 1 inch different).

some past information: I got into a small accident about half year ago where my car spun and hit the curb on the right side's. It messed up my car's alignment terribly and put some scratches to both wheels (and God knows if there were perhaps some other problems).

The car has been balanced and aligned (spelling?) after the accident, it has one year warranty on the alignment, and I will probably bring the car back for a check up.

My question: how should I address this problem to the suspension shop? from my brief description, do you guys think that the problem was caused some alignment problem? If not, perhaps some short prediction/description to the problem?

Thanks, in advance, +rep for all help and advises.
Thats the first time Ive heard of about the steering column. But it makes sense b/c mine does that and its NOT noticeable even with the S-Tech springs. However you maybe sagging, may need new shocks, springs (LUcky j/k) I guess it depends on the difference. I'd say if its greater than 1/2 to 1", then have your suspension addressed. If its less, check your camber/castor/toe ????
Just a sugges-chun...
G/L
bRANDON

·
Registered
745 Posts
All USDM IS's are higher on the passenger side becuase it was designed as a right drive car. Its been discussed a few times here.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
pradda said:
All USDM IS's are higher on the passenger side becuase it was designed as a right drive car. Its been discussed a few times here.
That's funny, because when I was at the dealer yesterday I checked the 4-5 IS300's they had there and none of them were like that except for mine.

·
Registered
745 Posts
FourT6and2 said:
That's funny, because when I was at the dealer yesterday I checked the 4-5 IS300's they had there and none of them were like that except for mine.
Don't know what to tell you except all IS's I've seen are slightly driver side heavy. Many .net members have noticed the same thing. Maybe it takes a few thousand miles to really show. You really notice it once you lower your car with springs.

If it really bothers you get a set of coilovers and adjust away. :)

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
From the couple of times I've seen people corner balance the IS, there is a definate weight bias towards the front driver's side. The weight distribution looked something like this, approximately:

Front:
Driver: 1000 pass: 800
Rear:
driver: 800 pass: 700

It was in that neighborhood, someone can correct me if I'm off

·
Registered
354 Posts
I remember we had a thread on this earlier, about the tilting and such. And during that thread it was concluded that the reason for the off balance is because of the 2jz and how it is positioned within the engine bay. I just remember this off the top of my head, dont take my word for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts