Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've just bought a 2003 manual is300 bone stock...

looking to upgrade it this summer

I will probably boost it arround 7~10 psi for this year

i was running a megasquirt in my old celica turbo wich made over 300 fwhp...

for the is...i'd like to keep as much as possible the drivability of the car by retaining the OEM ECU....

i've looked at the e-manage ultimate...could this work fine for a 7~10 psi setup ?

what else will be needed otherwise that a plug and play harness ??

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
EMU has been successful here. For any piggy, have a very very high understanding of OBDII and a good OBDII reader/logger so that you can tune "effectively". I'd go with the EMU as of yet.

The Megasquirt is cool if your really into DIY, but I think with the new trick piggy backs out there now, its not necessary (the need for only standalone control). With every year that goes bye, so much cool stuff keeps coming out. I think about 2 or 3 years back, the MegaSquirt would have been a huge hit here. Now, its just another one of many ways both standalone and piggy of effectively tuning the IS.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what you mean by EMU ?

are you daily drivin your is300 powered with megasquirt ?

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Emanage Ultimate.

Not daily driving, sits in the garage a lot, and the Innovate wideband crapped out that thats putting a cramp on the fine tuning.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've burned out 2 innovate last year with my megasquirt...

they are very sensitive....you used a resistor as decribe by innovate to connect it to the megasquirt ?

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
i've burned out 2 innovate last year with my megasquirt...

they are very sensitive....you used a resistor as decribe by innovate to connect it to the megasquirt ?
No. In all of my readings since its a POS (thus requires more research than one should need to) I recently found something stating that. I guess there is a "noise" issue with the Innovate and a capacitor used with the MS.

Newer models of the Innovate are not supposed to have this problem. Very angree, an expensive product such as the Innovate should be "wire up, and go", not what I'm seeing on their forums were all these guys have to go mad scientist on the product and do college level research on these stupid things.

But the unit crapped out without MS even being plugged in!!! I would unplug the MS, and drive around town with the OE tune to get an idea of what a good tune is.

Hmmmm.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have heard of a couple people running the HKS fcon V-pro setup on their IS' with great success. Has anybody else ran this setup or know somebody who has? I have the V-pro on my Supra and it is amazing. I would love to run it on the IS

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'd like to go back to the main question.....

so i've choose the use the e-manage ultimate..this way i'll keep the drive by wire throttle body that i hate....but i'll stick on this way for this year....

next year...maybe i'll move with R154 tranny custom intake and TB, with rod and pistons, head studs and a cometic gasket, etc, etc....

for the moment i'm looking to get the limit boost for the W58 tranny...and stock injectors !!

is this a good choise ?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
My signature says it all!!!

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I don't think stock injectors are good for boost. Usually cars have injectors hardly fit for much over OE power, and then keep in mind our fuel pressure is a constant, regulated in the fuel tank, its not a return system with an OE FPR increasing pressure with less vacuum, and into boost.

Plug in our 230'ish cc injectors in RC's website injector calculator, they barely cut the OE 215 we make at the crank with the n/a calculation. It will say you need about 440s just to run 340hp with a turbo at the crank. Now I think they go a bit far with their calculations (probably to convince one to buy larger injectors from them).

If you boost our fuel pressure to about 80-90psi with an FPR of the right kind and fuel pump, then I guess you can get away with 7-8psi.

If you don't mind batch fire, and are familear with tuning the MS to have OE like cold starts, temp corrections and what not, the MSIIextra V3.57 board will only run you about $400 built.

I will do a write up on modding the board and settings to get it to run the IS, but with the Innovate down, I'm holding back until I feel it can run the car well. I don't want to do a write up on an EMS that in the end, just won't cut it.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
i'd like to go back to the main question.....

so i've choose the use the e-manage ultimate..this way i'll keep the drive by wire throttle body that i hate....but i'll stick on this way for this year....

next year...maybe i'll move with R154 tranny custom intake and TB, with rod and pistons, head studs and a cometic gasket, etc, etc....

for the moment i'm looking to get the limit boost for the W58 tranny...and stock injectors !!

is this a good choise ?
you can still use drive by wire with a standalone and if you decide to go with a different tb you can do so. i dont think you can go with a different tb with a piggy

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
i think i can't go with std TB with e-manage ultimate...

but i don't think the megasquirt will drive the drive by wire TB !!

will have to swap for a sc something TB with cable on the pedal :):)

i'm having a spare megasquirt at the moment...a ms I ver.3.0

could i do anything with that ??

i ran one like this one on my celica turbo for 2 year...with megasquirt'n spark firmware with almost no problems...

what about the crank triggering with megasquirt ? could i use the OEM crank trigger...with the OEM coils ?

about the injectors....i was not knowing that this was only 230cc ones...i'll have to upgrade it for sure...is the aristo 440cc are direct fits ?...what about the fuel pump ?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I have heard of a couple people running the HKS fcon V-pro setup on their IS' with great success. Has anybody else ran this setup or know somebody who has? I have the V-pro on my Supra and it is amazing. I would love to run it on the IS
Yes there are a few people who run the HKS fcon, reg reimer 2jzgte vvti IS300 in canada has the fcon vpro IIRC and a pair of members in cali run the fcon vpro as well.. However the problem is that 90% of the us does not have a HKS pro dealer near them..SPE and PHR are the only two I can think of that have a strong reputation with the vpro..

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
The OE ECU will still control DBW with the MegaSquirt. The MS, like most standalones here is wired in parallel with the OE ECU, it will just control fuel and spark.

Like in the sig, it can be made true plug and play, ie: use the OE air temp sensor, OE crank sensor, OE ignitor, even the OE o2 sensor if the tune is tight enough (unlike stock, the MS will not use closed loop o2 feedback in idle, so the tune and compensations need to be dead on).

I think with the v.3 board, you just need to make the ignition pull down circuit for wasted spark 6cyl and your good to go. To do the other tricks like knock input, its just more jumpering, and getting a module either from a Chevy or somewhere else to translate the low OE voltage signal to what the MS needs to see. Also with the v.3 I think you can run MSextraII (you have the MSII daughter board on it?).

To be CEL free, its just doing what no one wants to admit here until Leo (Lambchop) came around. An ignition sim, EFI/ETCS reset, O2 sim/jumpers and what not in a "black box". Black boxes are the in look here.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it sound to complex for me for this year...

on winter went the car will be park for couple mounts...i'll switch to a fully stand alone megasquirt....

but for the moment i've just bought the car and i want to have it this summer

so i'll start a new topic about a grosserie list for a low boosted is 300 with e-manage ultimate

thanks guys !

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Time reactivate that old post...

i've been driving my turbo setup for more then 2 months now with e-manage ult. and i'm not in love with it...so time to move to megasquirt

let me recap what i've learn so far :

1. stand alone can be wire in parallel while retaining stock sensors
2. DBW E-TB can be kept as long long as the stock ECU is kept
3. VVT-i can be kept as long as the stock ECU is kept
4. Stock ECU going in close loop will have no efect

here is my questions now :

1. Will the cruise still work with a stand alone in parallel ?
2. Can the CEL be defeated with a simple box ?
3. Will the trac ctrl be working with stand alone in parallel ?
4. will the gauges be working with stand alone in parallel ?
5. if i'll decide to remove the stock ECU ( in 2 years ) will this cause any kind of drivability problems ?
6. I'm having some experience with megasquirt-I, should use other stand alone as haltech ?

now questions more specific on megasquirt :
1. should i first move to MS-II or keep MS-I with 'n spark extra?
2. is there a kind of extra feature firmware for MS-II ?
3. Will the MS-II use the stock ignitor ?
4. I will probably need a tach out from the MS-II ?
5. Will the MS-II control directly the Fast idle valve ?
5.1. what kind of idle valve is in the is300 ?

there is probably other questions...but i don't know it at the moment...

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
1. Will the cruise still work with a stand alone in parallel ?
2. Can the CEL be defeated with a simple box ?
3. Will the trac ctrl be working with stand alone in parallel ?
4. will the gauges be working with stand alone in parallel ?
5. if i'll decide to remove the stock ECU ( in 2 years ) will this cause any kind of drivability problems ?
6. I'm having some experience with megasquirt-I, should use other stand alone as haltech ?
1. Yes
2. To get rid of the CEL with a full standalone, you'll need to simulate the ignition, keep a primary O2 sensor, install an O2 simulator for the post cat O2s, keep your MAF sensor, keep your VSV near the ABS unit, and you'll need to install a relay to reset the ECU when you turn off your car.
3. Once you simulate the above, traction control will work once again and you won't have a blinking TRAC light or CEL.
4. The coolant gauge will work, your MPG gauge will work, your voltage gauge will work, and your gas gauge should work assuming you did your fuel system correctly.
5. Yes, idle is controlled by the stock ECU you'll need to install an aftermarket throttlebody that has an IAC. You'll then need to wire the standalone up to control the IAC. Unless you can find a standalone that has enought inputs to control all aspects of the motor then I wouldn't bother pulling the stock ECU out. Just leave it in there and let it do it's job while unbeknownst to it, you're controlling fuel & spark.
6. Any standalone will work, it's just going to require some time to learn it. Your best bet is determine what you want out of the car and find the standalone that best fits your goal.

Sorry can't help on the MegaSquirt questions. Shoot an email to Peter North, he's good with the MegaSquirt.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
got a pro efi ecu for sale in the for sale section, thats all the ecu you need :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts