Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how did you do yours?

because appearantly, after some research on my.is and inquiring workers from socal speed shop, the info i've gotten caused me to wrap my headers the wrong way and its been installed and used for quite awhile.

lemme hear how some of you did yours and ill explain what i did wrong. because i still refuse to believe that out of all the research ive done i still missed the info.

·
Registered
694 Posts
there is a wrong way to wrap them? Usually you just wrap each pipe individually starting at the block first working your way back.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
wrap = cracked/damaged pipes. happened to me back in the honda days twice. also on my corvette. is300 has no wrap, no problems with cracking from heat.

i also wrap from block to collector

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
i would wrap from collector to block.. leaving a 1/4" overlap... but i haven't done it yet so i dunno how credible that is

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thats what ive been told to do, real simple concept of just wrapping pipe-by-pipe and over lap about 1/4inch etc etc..

now my buddy (also a .net member aka vegasstace) corrected me after showing me what she's done to her headers. she explains that i shouldve soaked the wrap in water, wrap the headers, spray the wrapped headers with some kind of spray(?) something to do with the heat, then let it dry as the wrap will get tighter on the headers.

now comparing the two, her headers are nice and tight, very clean look. while my wrap looks like i just wrapped some rope around it with bits of loose strings hanging out. (its not THAT bad, but comparing to hers it did lol)

here's a bad shot of what it looks like..

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
by the way those colorful zip ties were on there temporarily lol i replaced it with steel zip ties of course!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Well, the idea is sound. The only thing that makes me wonder is that a problem with wrapping is that moisture can be trapped weakening the pipes resulting is the pipes cracking. So soaking them in water is the tricky part...you would have to make sure that they are totally dry or else you would be speeding that process up a lot.

This doesn't actually talk about the process so much as problems with wrapping. One thing to note is that he talks about the metal needing to breathe, if your making the wrap super tight...it could possibly work against you then.

Century Performance Center, Inc. :: Exhaust Header Heat Wraps - DO NOT USE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts