Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I have a auto 3sge altezza 270,000ks that has a few issues, i brought this car running extremely rough.

I have since replaced the throttle body and afm but the idle surges from 1200rpm to 3200rpm. Usually it revs at 3200 in park or neutral when cold then drops to 1200-1500 in drive. Seems to idle better when its warm but it's still all over the place. The revs also jump right up when I change from park to drive. I know this sounds like my throttle cable is too tight but its definitely not!

I'm about to start fiddling with my tps unless anyone has a better idea, Should I get a diagnosis tool? (No check engine light on) do I take it to a mechanic rather than wasting my money trying to eliminate things? Any help would be much appreciated! I'm still driving this car it chages gears poorly and sounds terrible I'm unsure if this related or not

·
Registered
986 Posts
Could be a vacuum leak somewhere, at that age and mileage you will get some of the rubber hoses splitting and letting in air. Or air getting in once past the MAF.

The o-ring on the MAF on the wifes Corolla split once, similar thing letting too much air in that the MAF couldnt read and adjust fuel trim for.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hey guys! I have a auto 3sge altezza 270,000ks that has a few issues, i brought this car running extremely rough.

I have since replaced the throttle body and afm but the idle surges from 1200rpm to 3200rpm. Usually it revs at 3200 in park or neutral when cold then drops to 1200-1500 in drive. Seems to idle better when its warm but it's still all over the place. The revs also jump right up when I change from park to drive. I know this sounds like my throttle cable is too tight but its definitely not!

I'm about to start fiddling with my tps unless anyone has a better idea, Should I get a diagnosis tool? (No check engine light on) do I take it to a mechanic rather than wasting my money trying to eliminate things? Any help would be much appreciated! I'm still driving this car it changes gears poorly and sounds terrible I'm unsure if this related or not
If the problems you're experiencing, to which is being diagnosed as a vaccumm leak from our fellow members, you don't have to take it to a dealer if you want to try and find it yourself. You simply just need to make a small inexpensive ($15-20) smoke machine (tutorials on YouTube), plug it into the intake with the engine off, remove the MAF sensor before testing since you don't want it ruined, and lastly look for where the smoking gun is ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys i used a smoke gun and I have no vaccume leeks! any other ideas would be much appreciated

·
Registered
986 Posts
Have you checked it for any codes? If it is running bad it should be throwing something, even if the check light isnt coming on.

And yea, if the engine isnt running right and its an auto it probably wont be changing gears well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts