Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased the TEIN SS from Carson toyota and wanted to put them on.

i ran into some problems.

since the SS doesnt come with uppmount :suspiciou
you have to use your stock uppermount

i took apart the stock shock and removed all the bushing and collars that were inside the uppermount for the rear

i followed the diagram that TEIN gave me, but it didnt feel right.
i put everything in its correct order, but there was an extra piece, i thought
hey if it wasnt in the diagram, it does belong in the setup
i called TEIN, and they said you have to incoraprate everything that was inside the stock uppermount... (REAR)

has anyone had this problem?
can someone tell me the correct order they are suppose to be placed
pictures of before and after :)

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
pictures would help. A clear description of your "extra" parts would also help.

There isn't much to the upper mounts, iirc. The mount and the dust boot come off as one peice, and then there's the bump stop. I don't remember there being anything else up there?

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
you are supposed to use the stock pillow mounts with the SS. No offense but the SS is a poorly designed coilover and if you decide to run them too low, the spring will rattle loose. The SS is NOT like the HA like most people think.

So... use your stock mounts like Tein told you, if you see that when you put it together the spring seems loose, its normal. THe coils are desiged that way (POOR design, sorry, tein should at least supply a help spring for them to keep them in place a bit)

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
So what's the other piece that you have left?

FYI, the stock mounts are not necessarily a bad thing. In my opinion, for a street car based on double-wishbone suspension, it is preferrable to keep the stock upper mount for extra suspension compliance. Unlike a strut based suspension, the upper mount does not control the attitude of the wheels.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just sat there... than i tried every possible pattern until i got everything into place.. i think its in the correct order

thanks guys

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Danny, like I said before, would of been easier to take it to the shop. I don't mind pitching in, especially the front, just looking at it was too complicated. Anywho, we got it in, drive it on tight for a week or so to break it in then let me drive your car. ^^

1 - 11 of 11 Posts