Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been having so many probs with my freakin car lately. Yesterday I went snowboarding and took my bro's Celica so I wouldn't get snow in my car...

He somehow took the car into a curb and took the biggest chunk I've ever seen out of the passenger front rim...ruining the alignment as well. When he got home, I took the car straight to the dealership and noticed that my CD's won't load or eject...Bad day.

PLUS!!!!!
My calipers are changing color. Normally this would be cool, but I liked them red.
NEVER BUY GRIBBS CALIPER PAINT.

I need advice now. I need to remove the caliper paint...how do I do it. Or can I just paint over them with Foliatec? (i don't think I wanna do that)

Is it hard to remove the calipers myself? Any advice would be helpful please. My calipers are orange now...ugly.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I would completely remove them and have them blasted. Pain in the ass but the right way. Lot of the vette guys use Foliatech.

·
Registered
281 Posts
hey!!
try paint thinner or acetone to get that paint off...
if that doesnt work try something stronger..
(HOME DEPOT HAS A LOT OF CHEMICALS)

hope that helps!

late

·
Registered
141 Posts
That's what happens when you take the cheap way out. Foliatec costs a little more, but now you're going to spend more time and money than doing it right the first time. I used the black Foliatec paint and have had no problems whatsoever. Even with all the salt and snow here in the midwest.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'd use Acetone as mentioned earlier and scrub off the old paint. You don't wanna use the FoliaTec right over the crap that's on there now. Sooner or later, it would all eventually flake off or fade... whichever happens sooner.

Do it right and spend the extra time and money. Not a great answer, but one you'll be happier with in the long run.

Good luck...

Scott.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I went to order Foliatec but I got no answer at the number I called. I went to a local speed shop and they said they used another company that was designed for brakes. It was $6 cheaper than Foliatec...

Anyway, after the tire place scratched my calipers, they paid for new caliper paint. I hunted down a place that sells Foliatec and now I have a red kit waiting to be applied.

I think I'll wait til Winter is over.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
don't, it usually looks rice if they are painted any color but black.

------------------
"the gene pool could
use some chlorine!"
http://www.shitonhonda.com"-Funny Site!

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
usually was the key word there, and porsche onwers don't try to do it themselves either, which was what i was reffering to specifically.

Originally posted by cardinal_creek:
IMO, red calipers don't look bad on porsches so why not on the IS? I guess it is just personal preference...

------------------
"the gene pool could
use some chlorine!"
http://www.shitonhonda.com"-Funny Site!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
IS300GTE
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing