Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know much about the audio side of cars, so I was hoping you guys could help me out a little. If it isnt about performance im not very interested, but since my stock 6 disc changer is screwed up with no warranty...im tired of listening to bad radio stations the last 6 months.

What all do I need to put in an aftermarket headunit...just the jdm double din thing they sell? And can someone give me a few suggestions on a good moderately priced headunit.

Also, if I go with an aftermarket hu....do I need to replace the rear speakers? I think I read this somewhere. And what are some good rear speakers that will compliment the rest of my stock system.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
well it depends what size headunit you want...2 din or 1 single din. the rectangle ones are 1 din while the square screens are 2 din. You will have to replace your rear speakers because they are set at 2 ohms while MOST aftermarket hu put out at 4 ohms.

You will not notice a great deal of sound improvement unless if you replace all of the speakers. Are you running any subwoofers? If you do not plan to get any subs then I would have you consider Alpine type R or Infinity Kappa series for the rear because they produce suffcient bass.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
civic2is said:
Any kit you buy will have capability to do single din with a pocket or double din.. I have a Metra 99-8151 for the IS if you want to buy it. PM me if you are interested. I will give it to you for 18 shipped.
wrong forum for this, plus not even enough posts to put that in the correct forum.

anyhow, as far as dash kits, the three main ones are jdm, metra, and scosche.

jdm (~$60) - best match for the factory dash, pricey tho, and you may need to relocate some buttons.
metra (~$15) - textured finish, doesn't match well, but wetsanding made a perfect match to the dash.
scosche (~$15?) - personally i don't like the shape, but others do. finish is close to the stock dash.

i have an aftermarket hu, currently only connected to the front stock speakers. it sounds much better than the stock hu (more adjustability). i dunno bout others, but it sounds fine to me - i'm not enough of an audiophile to go replacing everything. there's many more things i'd prefer to do first, like performance/styling stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My mistake, obviously I am new here. Not an overt attempt.. Trying to help someone out. I know how hard the kits are to find. The JDM kit isn't worth paying for.. Nothing special. Just eliminates the heated seats buttons. Why pay 60 bux to do that. Oops I forgot.. JDM, If they do it in Japan, it must be good. I got so tired of the JDM crazies with my civic.

No offense, just venting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have a picture of the Metra dash kit? Never seen one and was just curious about how it looks like... Thanks. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts