Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The yellow oil light is on while i drove, and the engine decided to cut out. I rolled to a stop. Towed it back home, now i'm trying to diagnose the problem. I checked the engine oil and it's full (just serviced a few weeks ago).

Now when I try to turn on the engine, it will turn over, but it won't start. the oil level warning light is still on.

Any ideas?

is300 2001 btw

· Registered
2,085 Posts
First step here I would think is to measure the compression or do a leak-down test.
If this is good then move to next step. However this is probably a blown engine.
If there were no horrible noises you may be very very lucky and just replace the Oil pump and Oil pressure regulator.
Put an Oil pressure gauge on the block, normally where the Oil pressure sender is located, and crank. See if you have any Oil pressure.

Sons 2JZGTE Oil pump rotor cracked and it threw a bearing almost instantly, but there again he was running an insane boost level on race gas, at about 175 mph on the Houston raceway.

· Registered
2,085 Posts
Please clarify which yellow light came on ?
Was it the Oil pressure, Oil level or something else ?

· Registered
2,085 Posts
Its not unusual for the light to go off as it fires, the Oill drains back some and cranking isn't enough to get up to the Oil pressure switch trigger.

· Registered
183 Posts
2 years later, this exact thing just happened to me.

car was driving fine then out of nowhere oil level light came on and car slowly died to a stop (110k miles 2003)
engine didnt make any crazy noises, the only thing that happened was i ran over a couple rocks (car is lowered) before it died

where is my ignition fuse and what "coil" is he referring to?
sorry I have very little knowledge with all of this
what is a noob to do now?

· Registered
2,085 Posts
The Coil is an ignition coil, there are three on top of the head by the plugs.
you will have to search for articles on the ignition fuse and download the FSM, its a pdf document that is very helpful.

· Registered
2,085 Posts
you need to find the ignition fuse, and check it.
what if it blew because of one bad coil as suggested above.

· Registered
183 Posts
my car is at the shop, had it towed there not knowing wtf it could be, at the time i totally forgot about the passenger side fuse box, only remembered about the driver side and under the hood X__X

the mechanic hooked up my car to the computer and he said that it won't read my ecu, he said his friend is bringing a lexus computer or w.e on monday so all i can do now is wait

· Registered
183 Posts
ok lets say on monday when i call in the afternoon, the guy says he still hasn't found the problem, should i tow the car elsewhere?
(i did have to sign a signature before leaving the car with him, i assume this was not a legally binding contract as the problem had not even been diagnosed yet)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.