Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My silver IS300 is in but without the LSD option I was told it would have. How important is LSD? I have heard arguments both ways...a must have..to not that imprtant and in some ways a negative? Where will I notice/miss this option the most? I have already passed up one IS due to timing issues and a lack of 17 Graphite polished wheels. Should I let the abscense of this option hold up the process again? I am taking delivery of the car on September 5th. Your comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Hold it against the dealership. Use it to your adventage and tell them you are pissed off at there service and will take your business to another unless you see a slash in price!!!!!! i'm still debating on a is300 for those of you interested....
price is one of my major concerns. It's not so much the price range, but i just can't stand the fact that a salesperson can make a PHAT 5000 commission off of me for talking less than 20mins. THAT PISSES ME OFF!!! I don't make that much in an hour, so why should he/she...........

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wait for the new c class or BMW 325! The IS IS NOT WORTH THE $!
Originally posted by Pimpee:
Hold it against the dealership. Use it to your adventage and tell them you are pissed off at there service and will take your business to another unless you see a slash in price!!!!!! i'm still debating on a is300 for those of you interested....
price is one of my major concerns. It's not so much the price range, but i just can't stand the fact that a salesperson can make a PHAT 5000 commission off of me for talking less than 20mins. THAT PISSES ME OFF!!! I don't make that much in an hour, so why should he/she...........

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Yeah Pimpee if you cant be rich than no one can. What the hell are they thinking trying to get ahead in life, working hard and closing deals. Screw that man, those guys don't deserve any money, lets all give the money to PIMPPEE.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Originally posted by ALAN COCCA:
Wait for the new c class or BMW 325! The IS IS NOT WORTH THE $!
PLEASE,PLEASE go get your c320..c240 M/B and leave us alone .....
This is THE LEXUS BOARD!
Stop trying to convert people to that "drab designed car" Its Sooooo Common Looking on the Exterior.

Just like the bmw 323..328..330i.... How can you tell them apart without seeing the actual Badge?? You Can't... They ALL look alike on the Exterior.... So does the M/Bs...

[This message has been edited by stockIS3 (edited August 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
14 Posts
To answer the original question... If the LSD is worth it. Answer depends on how you plan to drive the car. Basically LSD tries to make both drive wheels spin at the same rate. A normal differential will supply the most power to the wheel that is spinning the fastest. So where does LSD come in handy?

When accelerating out of a tight radias corner the inside rear tire will be bearing less weight than the outside rear. So what happens is the inside tire looses traction and begins to spin. This is where LSD kicks in, it insures the outside tire is still receiving power buy matching the velocity of the inside tire.

The draw backs you hear about are mostly referring to older style LSDs that tended to engage very quickly with very little slip (both wheels always turning at the same speed). This caused poor cornering because the car tended to want to straighten out during hard cornering.

LSD also aids straight line performance as well. Insuring that both rear wheels are receiving equal distributions of horsepower.

Hope that answers your question. On a side note I plan to order my IS with LSD.

·
Registered
250 Posts
To continue on bcarter1's argument (and I agree with everything said). Don't worry too much about the advantage of LSD on straight line performance on the track or on dry surfaces. As much as I would like to say otherwise, this car just doesn't have the power to overcome the availability of the rear wheels to hold on in a straight line (assuming no power adders and reasonble driving habits). My car does not have LSD and I have bumped into the traction control programming twice (haven't had the car to an open track event yet so I'm not sure how it will affect it there). It was not a pleasant experience. In both cases, the surface was slick enough that I'm not sure the LSD would have compensated enough to avoid the traction control or not.

The LSD could prove quite useful in limited traction conditions (so you will have to factor in your location for this one). At the time I got my car it was only available with additional options that I didn't want, so it would have effectively cost me $1830 ($1000 lux pak, $440 heated seats, $390 LSD). At $390 I would have gone for it.

So - as for your predicament - tough call. For me, it would boil down to will I need this to drive the car safely to which the answer is of course not.

Good luck with the decision.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
How much does the LSD weigh? I'd guess the added weight and added friction might slow the car down, but I don't know.

·
Registered
171 Posts
LSD, is it important? Depends on what type of driver you are and what reason. If you are a cruiser (high speed or low) looking for safety, LSD is not necessary. If you like quick sprints through twisties, then it could be very beneficial. The IS300 already comes with Traction Control so wheelspin or slippage will be controlled whether you have LSD or not. In most cases, Traction Control will activate well before the car reaches the point where LSD will come into play. The real benefit of LSD is when you turn TRAC off. This let you push yourself and the car to the limit without losing power or traction due to imbalanced wheelspin. LSD is not a safety feature. It is a performance enhancement feature. If you don't plan on driving aggressively, then it's not important. But at $390, it is a great option that doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! I appreciate all of your responses. If I had it my way I would be tacking on LSD without question. Unfortunately my IS is one of the 70% that will not get this option. In reality though I don't expect to push the car to it's limits, at least not on a regular basis. Thanks again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
This sucks

That means when I go to buy my IS, the LSD won't come w/the car. I was really looking forward to seeing what the difference was between driving a car with and without LSD.

[This message has been edited by DJson (edited August 27, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The Torsen LSD itself isn't that heavy, it is about 8 or 9lb, and you can easily hold it in your hand. The case will usually weight more than the LSD itself.
One thing you do have to realize is that LSD is another devices that takes away your power. It is a device made of bunch of worm gears, planetary and sun gears, and there is no way you can create this thing to be 100% efficient. I would think that when you put an IS with the LSD and without the LSD on the dyno, you will see that the one with the LSD will have less HP than the one without the LSD. But as far as how much HP loss, I don't know and I really don't want to spend time figuring out.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
well we know in the automotive world you can't get something for nothing. its just like gearing, its acceleration or top speed, or a good compromise of both =) make your choice :p

·
Registered
323 Posts
well, would you rather lose a couple of HP or be able to use the HP you have more efficiently. what good is it if you have one tire spinning while the other is stationary. i'd rather have both tires giving me power than one. just my 2 cents.

mike

·
Registered
306 Posts
Daniel,
Are you suggesting that there is more power loss in a car with LSD as opposed to a car without LSD? Isn't the non-LSD differential made up of gears too?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts