Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new Solar Yellow last week.. I was just cruzing around in..and a sup-up accord V6 pull up next to me and wanted to race. Since I was still baybying it, only 460 miles on it(Breaking in Period) I said I can't let all the IS owner down so I stuck it in manual and floor it. DAMM!!! kick his ass ofcourse... I must of floor it a few times that night.. Should I be worrying about it, since the Owner's Manual said not to drive hard for the first 1000 miles??

Any thoughts would help...

------------------
=============
Y2K1 Solar Yellow !!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Gotta chuckle at all these worries about abusing their cars in the early stages...

I just came back from the plant where they build Camrys and ES300's (Tsutsumi plant in Toyota City). As soon as these cars hit the end of the assembly line, they're floored out to the *first* waiting yard. Then they're floored out to the second waiting yard (for loading onto transporter trucks). Then they're floored onto the transporter trucks. Then they're floored from the truck to the dock yard. Then they're floored from the dock yard to the ship. After a trans-pacific cruise, they arrive in America. So how many times do you think they're "floored" to get from the ship to your local dealer?

And when I say "floored", I mean the drivers just hop in, turn the key, shift into "D" (no waiting for warmup, heck they don't even wait for the idle to settle down!), and floor it!

Chances are, these cars have been driven this way at least 10 times before they get to the dealer. (Lexus's aren't treated any differently than "regular" Toyotas either). This is true for ALL cars-- Chevys, Benzes, BMWs, etc. In mass production, there's no time for babying the cars.

Later!

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
I asked the exact same question after I got mine about a month ago. I drove to Boston from NYC two days after I got it and didn't follow the "Break-In Period" rules at all- got it up to 110. No problems so far, I don't know about the long-term. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can answer that.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I got a speeding ticket for 105 driving home from the dealership...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ouch 105mph Ouch

I can see it now:

COP:
Do you know how fast you were going?

DRIVER:
Yes, 100ish I just got her and was getting used to the acceleration.

COP:
Congratulations on your new car and here is you complimentary first ticket to put in the glove box.

DRIVER:

When I first got my CLS I was pissed cuz all these cars were passing me as I babied it down the highway. As soon as I passed 1000 miles it was NASCAR time.

·
Registered
571 Posts
really weird that they say things about the break-in period.

Ofcourse, I follow it because you can't help think abusing your baby just right when you got it.

It's weird though, that when I test drove the IS300 and 330CI, the sales person drove it for me first, and he drove it HARD. Hard braking, hard acceleration....took the cars to their limits. Both cars only had 25 and 50 miles. He didn't seem to care!

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
break in period? how many of us actually followed that? i sure didnt. its not like the IS is a crazy fixed up car from the factory. now if it was turbo from factory then, i would be a little more easy on it. but hey. you know they beat ish out of the cars at the dealership when you go on test drives. so. i might as well have some fun with it too. besides if people in the backseats are egging on to race a chevy silverado who's been tailgating you, are you gonna say no? i sure didnt. hehehe

------------------
Phil from Irvine (University of Civics and Integras)
'01 IS300 Diamond White Pearl with nothing on the trunk except the Big L.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts