Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I’m new to the forum and hoping to get some suggestions for my 2004 Lexus IS300 with 413k after changing timing belt,cam seals, VVTI O ring, WP, VC gaskets. I did this a few years ago without issue but I added the VVTI and cam seals this time and I think I made a mistake when reinstalling the T belt. I rebuilt the VVTI gear according to Jeffs video without issue. So when reinstalling the T belt my instructions stated to retard the crank slightly. Without thinking I rotated the crank one full clockwise rotation but left it retarded maybe one tooth. While doing the rotation I heard a slight click in the upper end - no resistance - I about crapped myself because I realized what I just did. I realigned everything and even ensured that the #1 cylinder was on upstroke at TDC when setting my timing again. I don’t think anything is damaged to my knowledge. Thoughts?

So car wont start at all. It stumbled once but that was it. It sounds like there is no spark/fuel but I’m wondering if my VVTI gear slipped back a tooth or two as I had it fully clockwise when I reinstalled it. I replaced the crank gear as well for a missing tooth. I’m at a loss....

Thank you all ahead of time for your time.

·
3,023 Posts
Mat be right. This may help. Look at the .pdf files.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much Solar! I think I found issue. I checked the VVTI after loosening tensioner and carefully removing belt from cam gears. VVTI was rotated completely counter clockwise. So I removed the VVTI and verified the counter clockwise internal position. I took a large flathead and gently turned the gear portion while holding the screwdriver in place to simulate it tightened on the cam. Sure enough the outer gear portion rotated clockwise and stopped. This is the position it needs to be in correct?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got belt back on and timing is exact. Still no difference. Has spark to #1. Double checked all connections. Baffled.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Solar! I was thinking the same thing. Any suggestions on verifying fuel delivery? Also, if there is spark at #1 wouldn’t that confirm that the crank sensor is operating ok?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks Solar! I was thinking the same thing. Any suggestions on verifying fuel delivery? Also, if there is spark at #1 wouldn’t that confirm that the crank sensor is operating ok?
If it was CAS problem, you would be getting a P0335 or something, i'm not sure what code it is for Toyota or Lexus, but I would look elsewhere if there isn't a code

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the help! Dumb question - Ive had the battery disconnected for over a week. When I attempt cranking it will store a code at that point? Otherwise all codes would be deleted from the battery being disconnected so long right?

·
3,023 Posts
Yes, if you get spark at any plug the sensor is working. But even if not. It could be for another reason. Try frogging the coils and make sure the connectors are tight on all of he coils, ignitor, throttle body, and MAF.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks man! I will do. After endlessly looking through the forums I found this. Could this be my problem? Remember I rotated the crank fully 360 degrees without moving the cams. I mean 360 degrees is 360 degrees. Am I missing something?

In summary - I accidentally rotated the crank clockwise independent of the cams to retard the timing a tad for T belt placement before I realized the risk of valve damage by doing so.
Cams gears were on dots like supposed to be.

I verified TDC by placing a long screwdriver into #1 cylinder (closest to cam gears) and turned the crank until it was fully upstroked. I checked my marks and yes TDC on crank.

I DID NOT rotate the cams at all. I DID rotate the VVTI cam gear internals all the way clockwise then placed onto camshaft and my marks were exact - (Previous pics).

I guess I’m still unsure of my timing in regards to T belt placement. How can I definitively verify its good or have I already done that?

Thanks - I’d buy you all a beer if I could! ?

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks man! I will do. After endlessly looking through the forums I found this. Could this be my problem? Remember I rotated the crank fully 360 degrees without moving the cams. I mean 360 degrees is 360 degrees. Am I missing something?

In summary - I accidentally rotated the crank clockwise independent of the cams to retard the timing a tad for T belt placement before I realized the risk of valve damage by doing so.
Cams gears were on dots like supposed to be.

I verified TDC by placing a long screwdriver into #1 cylinder (closest to cam gears) and turned the crank until it was fully upstroked. I checked my marks and yes TDC on crank.

I DID NOT rotate the cams at all. I DID rotate the VVTI cam gear internals all the way clockwise then placed onto camshaft and my marks were exact - (Previous pics).

I guess I’m still unsure of my timing in regards to T belt placement. How can I definitively verify its good or have I already done that?

So I kinda just went through a timing belt extravaganza recently, and I didn't have the luxury of the large harmonic dampener that Toyota put on the engines since I have a lightweight aluminum one.

If you want to be 100% dead sure that the engine is in time, the only way I personally know how is to remove the crank pulley, and you will have access to the crank GEAR. Then once looking at the crank gear, you can line the notch on the gear with the dot on the engine block, then you will know the crank is good. From there, you just line the cams up to the notches, and you're set.

I've mentioned this in a previous post, and it's worth mentioning here. But luckily as long as the engine is in good condition, you can freely move the cams around without the belt as long as it's back in place. The only error you could have is being off by within a millimeter of timing, which due to the timing belt's teeth being so large, the timing will slip into the nearest correct tooth. Provided I set the crank to exactly where it needs to be, you should be fine

Also, the counting the number of teeth in-between cam sprockets is kinda important, so do that as well. And ensuring you have the proper amount of belt tension on the left and right sides, obviously more on the left since there's the tensioner.

Thanks - I’d buy you all a beer if I could! ?
We accept PayPal :D

jk, the satisfaction of having the cars on the road is probably good enough for most of us.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That’s great! Thanks for the info and reassurance. I think that my timing is ok then (see pics above) and my VVTI is installed correctly (cam marks line up AND the VVTI cam gear is rotated fully clockwise. Also my #1 cylinder has spark so we conclude its not the CS sensor.

To your point on the crank gear I replaced it when I did my timing belt due to a cracked tooth. I reinstalled exactly the way it cam off (took many pics).

Question now is where from here lol! the variables on this timing belt job compared to the last time I did it is:
VVTI rebuild and install
Cam seals, crank seal
I accidentally turned crank 360 degrees without the belt on.
VC gaskets - removed intake

·
Registered
91 Posts
I accidentally turned crank 360 degrees without the belt on.
uh oh.
do a leakdown test or a compression test if your able to.
the 2jzge vvti motor is an interference motor.
possible bent vavles but even when i had bent valves. my car still roughly ran.

can you post a picture of both of the timing marks on the harmonic balancer in one pic?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts