Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all the IS owners out there,

This is my first post, and I am asking for your input and help. I live in Tokyo, and I produce car videos called Best motoring International, which is a series that we just released for the overseas market.

I would like to ask you the following Q's.

1. Is there any manual transmission
available for the IS series in the Sates?

2. Do people participate in autox in the IS?

3. Which car do you consider your rival?

In our videos, we usually compare Altezzas with Subaru Legacy, Honda Accord Euro R, BMW 3 series etc. I really want to hear your voices on the above questions and also, want to know if any of you would want to see an Altezza racing other cars (JDM or European) in the future releases of our video.

I can see modifications are pretty popular, but do people actually race in the IS?

sorry for the mass questions,,,,
Thanks in advance for your cooperation!

If you do not understand what Best Motoring is, go here : Official Best Motoring web site

Zigzag Cars - Source for all JDM

tougeking

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Best Motoring is awesome! Love that show - one of coworkers gets some from Japan and I borrow them. I just saw the M3 show (July?).
>1. Is there any manual transmission
> available for the IS series in the Sates?

5 spd manual is available in Sept. 2001. It will be 10% of sales by Lexus' estimate.

> 2. Do people participate in autox in the
> IS?
AutoX is getting very popular in the US, so some people take the IS, but it's still rare.

> 3. Which car do you consider your rival?
I'd say BMW 330i, Audi A4, Acura TL-S, and the new Jaguar maybe. But it's really more focused on sport than those other cars, so it's almost unique in the US. (Europe & Japan have more rivals)

Please do an IS300 manual comparo w/ BMW, Audi etc.!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I suppose we will ike a comparison done similar to the 1999 vol 1 which feature Altezza.

We will like to see AS 200 Auto compare with C-class, Audi A4, BMW 320i, Alfa selespeed 2.0, Saab 900, Volvo S60, Golf GTI and any other car that is labelled Sport Sedan.

BestRegards

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by Shamus Autoworks:

We will like to see AS 200 Auto compare with C-class, Audi A4, BMW 320i, Alfa selespeed 2.0, Saab 900, Volvo S60, Golf GTI and any other car that is labelled Sport Sedan.

BestRegards
Ok mr singapore, don't speak for us Yankee's, we have totally different models than you do I'm sure... and the GTI isn't even in the same class; no luxury, 2 door, tiny. Alfa doesn't export to the states anymore. BMW's smallest engine over here is a 2.8L until the bring back the 1.9L which I hear is in a year or so for their new sub-3series line. But that's no help to Tougeking.
1) yes, sooon!
2) yes, but although AutoX popularity is increasing, most of the racing in the states consists of people either racing other cars on the highway, that don't even know that someone is racing them, or drag racing at stoplights...

3) the only real rival, as the car companies are the pitting the vehicles head-to-head is the BMW 330. There are others, like the A4 or the C-class cars, but the A4 cannot come close to the IS300 in handling nor acceleration (unless you get the S4 which starts at $8000 more than a loaded IS), and the C class cars are sedate, and playing catch up with the Bimmer and Lexus.

I guess if it's all about performance and what car is faster, the IS300 is not the best car, although lexus markets it as such and most of the un-informed think it is some sort of luxury racing machine, probably due to the way owners like myself drive, and all the advertising it has received. The best selling point about the IS and also the reason it is so easy to compare to the BMW 330 is the engine size, the performance (not a sedate, uninspired car like the LS430 for example) and the cost... which undercuts BMW by several thousand dollars.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes we auto-X and race our IS300. I have done 4 Auto-X's and will do my 2nd track event on Friday with the IS. I am going to Lime Rock in Connecticut for a Time Trial. Rival cars are WRX, A4, BMW. Manual will be out soon. I am certainly glad I did not wait, it has taken a long time. I would love to see the Altezza race other cars.
Chris

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hey, I really like Best Motoring... especially the Altezza vol ( 1999). I would also love to see the new face-lift Altezza RS200 6 speed going against the new R35 Skyline sedan, Nissan Silvia S15, Toyota Chaser, the new Acura RSX/ Honda Integra Type R, and some European cars like the 3 series, and new MB C-Klass, etc. Answering the questions here
1. You already know...

2. AutoX is quite popular but not as much as Gymkhana in Japan.
3. The real true rivals to the IS300 is BMW 330i, and probably the upcoming Infiniti G35 (R35 Skyline sedan).

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by tougeking:
I have the BM Altezza disc myself...

As for AutoX: Yes, the IS is gaining in popularity in the sport. I'm currently in 2nd place in my local area with my IS in G Stock. Derek and his IS are in 1st place at the Regional level. One of the main competitors to the IS in the G Stock class at this point is the Subaru WRX.

Check out our Race Related forum to see results from local events!

·
Registered
70 Posts

I would like to ask you the following Q's.

ANSWER: YES..The 2002 IS will be available with a 5-speed manual including such cool new features as the optional dvd-based navigation.

ANSWER: I've heard of some people autocrossing the IS.

ANSWER:

Our main competitor here is the BMW 3-series (330Ci) and the Acura TL.

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: H1ghf1del1ty ]

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: H1ghf1del1ty ]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all IS enthusiasts!!!!!!!!

I am very surprized that autocrossing is this popular with the IS!!! And some of you even beating the WRX is quite impressive!!!

Now that I know that stick shift will be available later this year, the popularity will definately boost.

I know that it isn't exactly a track suited car, but it will appear as a contender for the videos from time to time. The 6 speed challenged the all new Integra type R in the newest issue (See the pic above ; for Japan only at this moment) and the auto Aristo V300 (GS?) battled agaist the M5, 330i M-Sport, Legacy B4 RSK in the last issue. I want to do a head to head with the 330i but we don't have the 3 liter here in Japan,,,,

I am more than happy if I could hear the owners voices whenever I think of the new issue's content. Any comment is more than welcome.

webmaster, thanks for the input. I will do a search before i ask from next time!

btw, we also do the video series Hot Version, and i do believe there was an issue when the Amuse tuned Altezza appeared.

One last question :

Do more people modify the IS or do moew people keep it stock???

thanks,

tougeking
bestmotoringvideo.com

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
let's not forget those CL-S's!!

most ppl, like myself, want to keep IS's in stock form with few minor mods(after all.. it is a lexus..) but in couple of years i'm sure we will be seeing large number of moded up IS's.. i am all for moding my car.. just not in near future.. hopefully in couple of years my car will be doing single digit 1/4 miles..

·
Registered
40 Posts

One last question :
Do more people modify the IS or do moew people keep it stock???
unlike what the sales report might say (=probably a lot higher average age than what you'd expect, cuz MOST of the young people driving the IS probably had their dad buy the car for them ), the majority drivers of ISs, I WOULD SAY, are young people under their 30s. here in L.A., i see a LOT of modded Lexuses, GS and IS, but of course, most of them are bone stock.
my IS only have clear blinkers and my next mod is the clear bumper lights.
My '99 G3 had 18s, exhaust, springs, etc. but i did all that cuz the GS, you gotta admit, looks like a lady's car when it's stock. i'm probably not gonna do that much mods on the IS cuz the car looks sporty as it is. i'm itching(?) to get 19s, exhaust, and etc etc, but i tell my self "it's a LEXUS
"

·
Registered
759 Posts
September of 2001

Here on the east coast, I participate in VA and MD. There is at least one autocross every weekend!

Rivals include:
MB C320
Acura TL-S
Audi A4
Volvo S60
and the BMW 330i which would be like the arch enemy.

I'd like to see more turbo Altezza's performing drifts!

To answer your other question: Out of 8 of 10 IS's I see are modded. At least around my area. I love autocrossing my IS!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts