Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after finishing the spring install everything seemed alright, except when I hit bumps or go on uneven ground. The problem is the front right sway bar. I loosend the bolt (see picture) trying to get the strut assembly out (didnt happen). Now the problem is I try to tighten it but it just keeps spinning cause there is no back to grip onto with a wrench. Now when I hit stuff it makes a thud/rattle combo which is audible from the right front. This is the only thing I can think of that could cause this sound. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
RedIS300Chic said:
Well after finishing the spring install everything seemed alright, except when I hit bumps or go on uneven ground. The problem is the front right sway bar. I loosend the bolt (see picture) trying to get the strut assembly out (didnt happen). Now the problem is I try to tighten it but it just keeps spinning cause there is no back to grip onto with a wrench. Now when I hit stuff it makes a thud/rattle combo which is audible from the right front. This is the only thing I can think of that could cause this sound. Any suggestions?

Same thing happens to many people. Look at the end of the end link bolt. You will see it has an allen-wrench end to it. Stick the allen wrench in the end, then you can tighten it up using a wrench. Let me know if this helps. :)

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
stick an allen wrench into the open end and tighten the nut with a normal wrench... problem solved.. the only thing for me was i can't get as much torque on it like that..

·
Registered
804 Posts
5mm allen wrench is needed, if I remember correctly. This goes in the end of the stud while tightening the nut with a 14mm box wrench. You can also use needle nosed vice grips to get on the flange of the stud where it rests against the sway. This will be needed to use the torque wrench for final tightening since you can't use a torque wrench and allen wrench at the same time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. I did a whole spring install but couldnt figure out that the bolt had a allenkey on the front. This did solve my problem.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
How much torque is used on that fastener? I've got a similar noise on stock setup, but the nuts seem tight.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
SportX said:
5mm allen wrench is needed, if I remember correctly. This goes in the end of the stud while tightening the nut with a 14mm box wrench. You can also use needle nosed vice grips to get on the flange of the stud where it rests against the sway. This will be needed to use the torque wrench for final tightening since you can't use a torque wrench and allen wrench at the same time.

Good luck.
interesting, after i got to a certain point, the bolt no longer turned and i was able to use a normal torque wrench the rest of the way...

Thanks for the help guys. I did a whole spring install but couldnt figure out that the bolt had a allenkey on the front. This did solve my problem.
do you have all the necessary tools? what exactly is needed to do your own spring install?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
basic sockets, allenkey, box wrenches and a spring compressor. Not hard just time consuming if your doing it by yourself.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
a lot of times the noise is from the upper mount of the shock.
Did you tighten the upper fasteners before dropping the car back down the ground? If so, you might want to re-tighten them with the car on the ground.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RedIS300Chic said:
The only thing I didnt tighten was the sway bar cause I couldnt figure it out, dohhhh!

Everything is tight and I just fixed my auto-level light. Install = totally done!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts