Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys at the risk of sounding stupid..... because I will be the FIRST to admit... Im still learning about cars...... therefore perhaps my references to parts and such might not be the correct terminology.... but i try :confused:

I have noticed over the last few months (perhaps due to the cold winter..) I have noticed a strange kinda like taking off noise when i accelerate..... sometimes its so loud i hear it over the stereo.... but the thing is ... if it due to the cold shouldnt it dicipate as the car warms up?? cuz sometimes its there constant...but sometimes its not there at all....in any case when it is... its sooooo loud!

should I be concerned???

Help :(

·
Registered
291 Posts
um i really couldnt understand what you were describing, but the only thing i can think of is a 'THUD' sound from the rear. that is normal . where do you hear the sound?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol told ya i was bad with this...

urmmm... kinda sounds like its comming from the right front end... its def not in the rear and its not a thud... u know the sound a plan makes when its taking off?!!? well...that is the noise and the more exceleration the louder the noise....

its like that.... except my IS dont have wings so i dunno where the heck it thinks its goin :(

haha

·
Registered
291 Posts
well idk then. sry. i would just have it checked out. The only noises that i know are common is, the swooshing behind the dash, thud from the rear, and the snapping/clicking sound from the brake pads.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Does it sound like an electronic sorta winding up sound from behind the dash?

Sometimes I hear something that sounds like electronic noise... almost like an electronic turbine winding up under acceleration. I have no idea what it is... but haven't had any issues either.

It's almost like when the engine causes interference with the stereo in poorly done custom jobs... and you can hear a noise in the speakers as the engine revs.

It would be good if you could try and describe the sound more. With what you provided now it could be almost anything.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
have you taken a look under and around the front end? sometimes the plastic under body may come loose and could be slightly rubbing against the tire.. does it get louder as you drive faster?

Snow can be a big factor too. turn you music and go for a drive and try and pin point where its coming from. then go take a look and let us know what you see.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
I had the same thing. Don't go to Lexus or any dealership about it, because they don't know jack shit about it. Don't waste your time and money.

Wait for your car to heat-up before you drive it.

It goes away.

Reactions: LEXIGRL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its sounds like your describing a wheel bearing noise. If the noise sounds like the front right, does it go away when you turn right? If it does, most likely its your wheel bearing cause your taking the weight off of it. When the weather gets better, drive down the road doing a couple of kinda sharp "S" turns and see if the noise goes away when turning a certain way. Going about 40km/h should be good. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
kidd_lexx... as you can see by all the wide variety of answers you are getting... you need to try and find a way to better describe the sound you are hearing. :)

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Its sounds like your describing a wheel bearing noise. If the noise sounds like the front right, does it go away when you turn right? If it does, most likely its your wheel bearing cause your taking the weight off of it. When the weather gets better, drive down the road doing a couple of kinda sharp "S" turns and see if the noise goes away when turning a certain way. Going about 40km/h should be good. Hope this helps.
I have to agree. It sounds like a wheel bearing issue. Does it sound like a semi-high pitched whine? If its a whine, then its most probably a wheel bearing that needs to be replaced. I had one just replaced on my dads van with the same issue.

·
Registered
355 Posts
does it sound like a cricket lol

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
^^^^ it could be a pigeon hiding from the winter cold in you dashboard. So when the engine revs... it gets scared and starts chirping louder... :blush:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ok, please check the backing plate behind the rotors to see if they are rubbing. Due to all these snow conditions...i wont be suprised if yours is pushed against the rotors. Wheel bearings normally will make a HUMMING noise. So crester, perhaps it was a hummingbird hiding under kid lexx's dashboard. HAHA

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
If he's having trouble describing the sound... maybe he could make a video/sound clip of it?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had the same thing. Don't go to Lexus or any dealership about it, because they don't know jack shit about it. Don't waste your time and money.

Wait for your car to heat-up before you drive it.

It goes away.
This is true the warmer the car gets it does go away.....

can i put an audio clip on here??

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kidd_lexx... as you can see by all the wide variety of answers you are getting... you need to try and find a way to better describe the sound you are hearing. :)
lol.... im learning slowly but surly......

I thought the best way to describe it was the sound of a plane when its taking off...... the faster i go the louder it gets.....:confused:

perhaps i shall try an audio clip!

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
I get the same thing if i decide to drive the car when its frozen. As soon as i get off the clutch, it howls. When i'm on the highway it makes the noise you describe.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to agree. It sounds like a wheel bearing issue. Does it sound like a semi-high pitched whine? If its a whine, then its most probably a wheel bearing that needs to be replaced. I had one just replaced on my dads van with the same issue.
if this is the issue..... what could be the associated cost involved?:suspiciou

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I still think it's the electronic sound I described earlier on. It does almost sound like a jet engine revving up for take-off... comes from behind the dash somewhere... and changes with engine revs.

It stumped me when I heard it too... I was like... does this car have some sort of hidden supercharger or something? lol

I think an audio clip would be best... then maybe somebody can help us out!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts