Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I had a very scary expeariance earlier this evening. I was coming home on the highway, in the middle of braking for an exit ramp and the oil and check engine (thats all i saw, there might have been others) came on, the steering was really stiff, possibly locked, i am not sure if there were other problems (since i kinda paniced, lol). I have owned the car for over a year and never had any problem like this. I was not doing anythign different, or can think of anything that might have caused this. I have a K&N intake on the car (that i installed at the start of the summer) and a greddy exhaust (that was installed mid summer). I was not changing the radio station or doing anything but braking for the exit ramp, so I am completly dumbstruck as to what could be the problem.

Any insight would be greatly apprecaited (since i have to drive this car for my daily commute tommorow, and dont want to end up with my head merged into a guardrail because my car shut off on me...)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
It sounds like the car turned off because all the symptoms that you name are caused by that. Have you tried checking your battery terminal? If it's loose then that can happen. Sometimes your car can shut down for a second and start back up again if your terminal gets jiggled from vibration.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
i like to know what couldve caused this to, my cuzin was telling me how his car shut down on him while driving to and he blaming the tbko shift kit

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will check that before I leave tommorow morning. however, i dont think the car shut off completly, since the radio was fine, and I didnt have to restart the engine. It was a glitch or something, however, the problems dont really seem to have a clear cut answer (seing how the steering locked, and lights went on in the dash, and the two are basically unrelated).

·
8,849 Posts
1) Steering does not lock if the engine dies. Steering lock only applies if the key is in "OFF" position.
2) The reason the steering is stiff is because there is no power steering if the engine is dead.
3) Lights will remain lit even if the engine died because they run off the battery.
4) Power brakes will also stop its operation after you press the brake pedal twice if the engine died.
5) DO NOT PANIC! If the car dies, it does not just take away control and lock everything. It is still operateable.

First thing I would look at is the K&N intake.
IS300 is known for shutting off when the air is blowing directly on the aftermarket intake, creating turbulence near the MAF sensor. That's why SRT has a deflector built in into their heat shield for the intake.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasnt sure if it had locked or if i had lost the power assist (since it didnt happen for that long). I did not take my hands off anything (relfexes from go-kart racing days, lol). I have driven the car hard with the intake, so thats why I didnt automatically think that it was the problem.

Do you think its worth going to the dealership over? Also does SRT sell that shield that will work with the KN?

·
8,849 Posts
I don't think SRT sells the shield by itself.
They sell the whole system, which includes Intake w/ Filter, Heatshield and (!) ECU override that adjusts AFE for best performance w/ intake.

You will only loose time and possibly $$$ going to the dealer. They, more than likely, blame it on your mods, and they would be right to do so.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I have seen this happen more and more in the past month to almost everyone I know including me twise. I can tell you 100% it's because of gas. It seems like we have been getting very bad gas, which is causing the car to miss fire/ or maybe it is beign mixed with water I don't know. But you are not the 1st to have this problem. Like I said I have had this exact thing happen to me while coming to a stop, and so have my other 4 friends with compleatly different cars (Honda, Nissan)

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Stop pumpin ARco

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I always use the best gas (93 octane at Mobil), so at least I am glad to see that the extra money I wasted was put to good use. :roll:

Anything I can do about this situation?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Do you have a manual or auto transmission? I'm guessing you have a manual and were coasting at high speeds and applying the brake. Your car probably stalled because of the increase of turbulance and air flow. Just simply put the car back in gear and the car will start again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was a manual. And I had put the clutch in about a second or two after I started breaking. However, I always do that, and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
908 Posts
stormperson said:
It was a manual. And I had put the clutch in about a second or two after I started breaking. However, I always do that, and have never had a problem.
Ok, so you have a manual, and your car was in neutral when this happened...correct?

If so, then you need to keep your car in gear while traveling at highway speed. Put your car in neutral later, when you're going slow, or when coming to a complete stop.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
All the symptoms point to the fact that the engine temporarily flamed out...

Now as for the cause...it is pretty common knowledge here that the IS300 MAF is sensitive to turbulence when upgraded to open cone element intakes where the stock scoop blows turbulent air directly onto the cone filter. The engine stalling is most reproducible in manuals, with the clutch in at highway speeds. This has happened to owners of Injen, AEM, RMM, and a almost all other open element intakes without a heatsheild/deflector for the intake scoop.

Solutions would be either to remove the stock intake scoop, fabricate a deflector so the air exiting the scoop does not blow direclty on the cone filter, or uninstall the aftermarket intake. Lexus won't help you here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
you guys are awesome! thanks so much I just had this problem right after finding my stock intake scoop i just put it on thinking id get nice fresh air going into the the general dircetion of the intake filter. I drove on the road came up to a stop popping it out of gear trying to coast in neutral and then the engine dies. once again mad props!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.