Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

Now that my 2002 deck is starting to skip like a 'mamma-jamma,' its time to consider a replacement. I am not interested in anything fancy, but would ideally get something that looks decent in our cars, which i believe has to be dual-dinn. Does anyone have any opinions on the following ones? I don't want to spend too much on replacing my deck simply because i am unsure if i intend on keeping my car for too much longer. Any opinions would be appreciated.

-JVC KW-AVX710
JVC KW-AVX710 (KWAVX710) <br>7" 2-DIN Touch Screen DVD Multimedia Receiver w/ Remote

-KENWOOD DDX512
KENWOOD DDX512 <br>6.1" 2-DIN CD DVD MP3 Receiver w/ Front AUX-Input

-PANASONIC CQ-VW100U
PANASONIC CQ-VW100U (CQVW100U) <br>7" 2-DIN Touch Screen DVD Multimedia Receiver

-PANASONIC CQ-VD6505U
PANASONIC CQ-VD6505U (CQVD6505U) <br>6.5" 2-DIN Widescreen LCD Monitor w/ DVD Receiver

-PIONEER AVH-P4000DVD
PIONEER AVH-P4000DVD (AVHP4000DVD) <br>6.1" 2-DIN Touch Screen DVD Multimedia System w/ Front AUX-Input

Thanks all.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Most popular is not always what is the best deal or bang for your buck. ;)
Most popular in some cases means it has the most channels for distribution as well as with the most marketing. I prefer to make my own decisions rather than let some marketing director dictate my reality. :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone have experience with the ones listed here? I am so surprised to see them all retail for under 500. Pretty amazing how the cost of these things have substantially dropped.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Most popular is not always what is the best deal or bang for your buck. ;)
Most popular in some cases means it has the most channels for distribution as well as with the most marketing. I prefer to make my own decisions rather than let some marketing director dictate my reality. :D
but with the d3 it does mean this. looks great and has so many features including nav, rear view camera, solid amp, and satellite radio capability to name just a FEW. check it out i have it. and in my professional experience at circuit city i think its best value you can get especially for a double din

·
Registered
496 Posts
I myself was planning on the Kenwood i really like it. But that Pioneer is a pretty sweet deal too. Now i have to do some more reasearch myself.

Found this video for the DDX512. Has a really nice interface, tough choice between the two.

YouTube - Kenwood DDX512

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
but with the d3 it does mean this. looks great and has so many features including nav, rear view camera, solid amp, and satellite radio capability to name just a FEW. check it out i have it. and in my professional experience at circuit city i think its best value you can get especially for a double din
I did, and I went with the DNX7100. But that was 6 months ago when I made my purchase decision. D3's appeal is price point. Personally, I wouldn't want to swap disk, and I hate ipods, so the D3 was not an option for me. I'm very happy with my DNX7100 with the bluetooth module and FM traffic module, and running MP3's off USB, and running Garmin City Navigator NT 09 which was just recently updated. :D

·
Registered
620 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks for the links. It helped with the decision making process.
Yeah NP i agree it helped with me to. Even though im not buying right away i like the Kenwood alot.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the Kenwood 512 and love it. No complaints.

I was originally going to buy the D3, but did my research on the GPS (just as important to me as music playback). Even though I use my ipod for 90% of my music, having a DVD based GPS system bugged me. As soon as I saw the Kenwood used the Garmin interface and didn't use a DVD, it was a no-brainer.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I picked up a Pioneer Avic Z2; and I love it. The navigation uses Tele-Atlas; it has never steered me wrong and when you get close to an exit or a turn, it tells you exactly which lane(s) you can be in and even zooms in to show the exact layout of the road.

The Bluetooth add-on works exceptionally well! I don't have an iPod so I can't tell you exactly how the interface is. The 7" screen is very nice for watching DVDs as well! Loading the songs on to the HDD took a little long, but other than that, no complaints.

Good luck!

·
Registered
601 Posts
... and when you get close to an exit or a turn, it tells you exactly which lane(s) you can be in and even zooms in to show the exact layout of the road.
Good luck!
damn, I wish my Garmin had that... I went on a road trip recently and the roads were so twisted I almost caused like 10 accidents because of the HUGE arrow showing me where to go, but not which lane to go into..

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice, but i ended up purchasing the Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD. Install price for like 499 (canadian). I will be posting photos once shes in, but overall it seems to get pretty good reviews. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but at least it will be better than my current setup, which is quite lacking in music, as everything skips in my factory deck.

·
Registered
620 Posts
damn, I wish my Garmin had that... I went on a road trip recently and the roads were so twisted I almost caused like 10 accidents because of the HUGE arrow showing me where to go, but not which lane to go into..
Lol, which DIN are you using?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the Kenwood 512 and love it. No complaints.

I was originally going to buy the D3, but did my research on the GPS (just as important to me as music playback). Even though I use my ipod for 90% of my music, having a DVD based GPS system bugged me. As soon as I saw the Kenwood used the Garmin interface and didn't use a DVD, it was a no-brainer.
So is it worth buying an iPod for my Kenwood DNX-7120? I understand there is another cord you have to buy in order to use the video off the Classic iPod. Well if I buy a 160GB iPod, there are no fast-forward or re-wind feature as doing it on the song like using a mp3 player on the the touch screen correct? Or does a thumbdrive do the same thing?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts