Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the subject says it all. I got my PIAA Super Rozza's from Austin and went to put them on - one problem- the damn socket for the locking lug nut pops off because its stripped. :(

Has anyone had this happen? Can a tire shop take the nut off or do I have to somehow try and order this special socket through Lexus?

So sad...the wheels..they look so nice...but they aren't on my car...

**Edit***
I am thinking nut extractor...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I figured I would end up in a tire shop. Nobody else is torquing my nuts but me from now on! :lol:

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
great wheels. where'd you get your super rozza's?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
great wheels. where'd you get your super rozza's?
I bought the wheels from Austin683. They look great (in my living room). Austin gave me a good deal on the wheels with Michelin SP2's, so I couldn't be happier. There's a little curb rash, but that's to be expected with used wheels:)

Per the advice I've received, I'll call Pep Boys and see what they have. If no help there, I think Discount Tire can get them off. This has got to be a fairly common issue...

Thanks for the advice guys!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Buy a 3/4 12point socket (only a 12 point will work) bang the socket onto the lug nut with a hammer and it comes right off, it will wedge itself on. That's what we do at the shop, or use the extractor tool, but that only works with an impact gun and compressor. Pep boys or any tire place will charge you 30-45 bucks so just buy the socket for a few bucks and save yourself some money.

BUN

·
Registered
22 Posts
Buy a socket that is a bit smaller then the lug and smack it on with a hammer.
It's cheaper then any tool you will buy, you wreck the socket , but it's only a buck or so.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buy a 3/4 12point socket (only a 12 point will work) bang the socket onto the lug nut with a hammer and it comes right off, it will wedge itself on. That's what we do at the shop, or use the extractor tool, but that only works with an impact gun and compressor. Pep boys or any tire place will charge you 30-45 bucks so just buy the socket for a few bucks and save yourself some money.

BUN
Are you pretty sure about the size of the shaft on the lock? Will the 3/4 fit the stock IS300 lock? I can go home and measure it. I was just going to pick the socket(s) up after work on my way home. I will need four because I'm pretty sure each one is going to be toast once it's hammered on.
Thanks,,
Dave

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you pretty sure about the size of the shaft on the lock? Will the 3/4 fit the stock IS300 lock? I can go home and measure it. I was just going to pick the socket(s) up after work on my way home. I will need four because I'm pretty sure each one is going to be toast once it's hammered on.
Thanks,,
Dave
Duh, I drover the car today. I can just go out and measure. I'm a little brain dead apparently!:blush:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yes if it's a round type of lock that a 21 socket fits over the lock key then a 3/4 is the size you need. Yes I am sure, i've done it like 43085702764597345 times at work, i have a special 3/4 i keep just for this reason.

BUN

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes if it's a round type of lock that a 21 socket fits over the lock key then a 3/4 is the size you need. Yes I am sure, i've done it like 43085702764597345 times at work, i have a special 3/4 i keep just for this reason.

BUN
+ rep for doing it 43085702764597345 times:lol:

So far Discount Tire got 3 out of 4 off. The fourth, well, that one sucks...

·
Registered
439 Posts
the same thing just happened to me, monday, when i went to have new tires put on, they got it off but this is the second time that its happend...

my wheel lock key is all bent up now

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is the ultimate frustration. I've tried every DIY I can think of. I guess tomorrow I will take it to a different shop and see what they can do. last resort, I will have the lug removed and that is a real PITA.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ditch the stock wheel lock and key guys. Toyota makes very sh!tty wheel lock and keys, the always break. I can't tell you how many toyotas/lexuses come in needing their locks removed because the key broke. Just food for thought.

BUN

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did ditch all the stock lug nuts. They won't fit my new wheels anyway. I did find out the wheel locks are made by Mcgard and the local Lexus dealership stocks a complete master set of keys. I went to the dealer and in 3 minutes they had it off.

I guess that will teach me to call the dealer first:pissed:

Thanks to all those who helped out .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts