Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2001 IS300(Diamond white pearl with 16k miles) at a salvage auction. The car seems fine, it was an undercarriage problem. The car got stolen and the theives ran it into a tree. The frame where the condenser is pushed in about 2 inches as with the condenser and radiator. That is all fixed now but I have one concern. The motor is making like a clanking sound when you turn the engine on. Then when the engine warms up that clanking sound deathens but if you press the gas pedal that sound comes back but louder. I drove that car around and when your off the throttle, everything sounds fine but once you get back on the throttle, the clanking sound comes back. There is no damage or scratch to the motor and the motor runs very strong as new. This problem seems to be internal engine problem. I was just wondering if anyone has ever had this type of problem and how to fix? And if its internal engine problem, do you think the dealer might fix it under warranty? Any suggestions would help from mechanics or anyone that knows alot about this IS300. Any Colorado mechanics with IS300 experience? Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
16 Posts
GREDDY00 said:
I bought my 2001 IS300(Diamond white pearl with 16k miles) at a salvage auction. The car seems fine, it was an undercarriage problem. The car got stolen and the theives ran it into a tree. The frame where the condenser is pushed in about 2 inches as with the condenser and radiator. That is all fixed now but I have one concern. The motor is making like a clanking sound when you turn the engine on. Then when the engine warms up that clanking sound deathens but if you press the gas pedal that sound comes back but louder. I drove that car around and when your off the throttle, everything sounds fine but once you get back on the throttle, the clanking sound comes back. There is no damage or scratch to the motor and the motor runs very strong as new. This problem seems to be internal engine problem. I was just wondering if anyone has ever had this type of problem and how to fix? And if its internal engine problem, do you think the dealer might fix it under warranty? Any suggestions would help from mechanics or anyone that knows alot about this IS300. Any Colorado mechanics with IS300 experience? Thanks for listening.
God, "clanking" could be so many things. Is it definately inside the engine (with the clutch in it makes the same sound)? Is the "clank" in sychronicity with engine speed? If so, you could be looking at something as simple as something out of adjustment in the valve-train. It could also be piston slap, a rod bearing, rod pin......flywheel.

If the engine is covered under some type of warranty, and no code is being thrown (check engine light), I would think you should be able to have the thing fixed.?? Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying....

There is no CEL code or anthing. The car runs great except once on the throttle the clanking/clunking noise is a bit loud. If your just rolling and not on the gas pedal the noise isnt there but once you get on the gas the noise is very loud. The power of the car is still there and that's why I think its not a rod issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cant believe we have so many people here and no mechanical skills. So disapointed! Anyways, here is my findings. The reason its making a loud clunking noise when on the throttle is because there is no oil pressure in the engine. What that means is: oil isnt being rerouted to lubricate the bearings and gears and thats why its making a bad noise. All in all, its an internal engine problem and the dealership is going to install a brand new engine in.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
GREDDY00 said:
I cant believe we have so many people here and no mechanical skills. So disapointed! Anyways, here is my findings. The reason its making a loud clunking noise when on the throttle is because there is no oil pressure in the engine. What that means is: oil isnt being rerouted to lubricate the bearings and gears and thats why its making a bad noise. All in all, its an internal engine problem and the dealership is going to install a brand new engine in.
If oyu had no oil pressure, you wouldn't have been able to drive around the block (no pun intended :) ).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
catneal-is300
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing