Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
can't you tap into the trunk light wiring that's already there? that way the lights only come on when you open your trunk. if you used your tail lights or whatever, they would be on whenever you turned on your lights.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Re: lights

ChromedYellowLex said:
yeah i tapped into the back trunk light...i have 3 blue neons...and it works fine...but i changed the fuse from the 7.5 amp to a 30 amp so it can hold more power. Its awsome because when u shut the trunk it turns off. :D
hope you didn't change the fuse in the pasenger side panel from 7.5 to 30A cause that may be asking for problems. The fuse is there to protect the wiring and 30 is a lot so it could possibly melt the insulation and start a fire if it were draw that much. by the way neons don't take too much power to operate. I got 4-6" and a 15" tube in my trunk all coming off the trunk light with no problems. I tested them when I installed it and if I recall correctly it only took 200mA per neon transformer. so even with my 5 tubes it's only drawing 600mA or 0.6A. stock fuse is good to go.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
lexusdreamcar55, I used neons I got off of ebay, I think they were called nightlite or something like that.. Yes they did come with the cig plug on but you can simply cut it off and use t-taps or solder them directly to the trunk light wires. no upgrades required, stock fuse is good to go, neons don't take much power. When you cut the plug off check which wire is going to the center pin on the plug this is the +12V wire, neons need the correct polarity to work. hit me up on aim if you need to discuss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts