Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Podiatrist
Joined
·
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am installing a Goodrich set of SS braided brake lines.

Here is the stock setup:
1. Brake line is mounted to inside fender
2. Brake line is held on by a clip as shown in the first picture
3. The bottom of the brake line will not pass through the hole in the mount...thus the mount is sandwiched between the base of the brake line, and the clip.

Here is the problem:
1. The SS brake line is able to pass through the mount at certain angles...
2. Because of this, the clip is no use...it no longer sandwiches the mount between the brake line and the clip.


Can anyone offer any assistance?
Which ring do I attach the clip to? 1 or 2?



 

·
Podiatrist
Joined
·
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nothin huh...
 

·
Founder
Joined
·
8,708 Posts
I've not installed the Stillen lines, but I did just get my Rotora kit installed. I had to bend the clips to get them tight enough to hold the new lines. I've got a pic from my install guide (which is NOT up yet). Give me a minute.

Ok, here:


The back part of the clip in the picture is the "stock" bend. The front part of the clip has been bent MORE. This gives you enough tension to hold the line in.

You'll probably have to use the upper edge of ring #1 in your picture. I don't think the clip will fit in the #2 ring.
 

·
Podiatrist
Joined
·
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tony. I appreciate it. the car is waiting fot the lines and i can drop it back down and really start fockin with it.
 

·
Founder
Joined
·
8,708 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
Thanks Tony. I appreciate it. the car is waiting fot the lines and i can drop it back down and really start fockin with it.
Did the picture help?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
I installed my goodrich lines over a year ago, but I remember that those fittings were very tight. I don't want to say that I forced it in, but the clip is very tight so that once they're, in they're not likely to move. The clip goes into slot 2 of your diagram. Shoot me your email and I can send you some pictures.
 

·
Podiatrist
Joined
·
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave said:
I installed my goodrich lines over a year ago, but I remember that those fittings were very tight. I don't want to say that I forced it in, but the clip is very tight. Once it's in it all makes sense though. I used space 2 in your diagram. Shoot me your email and I can send you some pictures.

edit:
I think it's coming back to me now that I think about it. You want to put the fitting through the mounting braket at point 2 of your diagram and rotate it. Once you turn it'll be in there snugly and won't be able to slide either up or down. Slip the clip through (no bending of the clip necessary). Hope that made sense. Like I said, let me know if you have any questions.
If i rotate it at point 2...do I even need the clip then?

Also, the bracket is thicker than the space in #2...
??

Webmaster, I'll try that thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Sorry for the confusing post. I just went out at lunch break and looked at my car. On my installation, the whole fitment fits snugly with the stock bracket and the clip goes into slot 2 which is just above the stock bracket. The clip keeps the line from falling down and the stock metal connecting brakeline keeps it from moving up. I've got an old picture of my coilover install with the lines in the background to the email address you've listed in your profile.
Good luck.
 

·
Podiatrist
Joined
·
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave said:
Sorry for the confusing post. I just went out at lunch break and looked at my car. On my installation, the whole fitment fits snugly with the stock bracket and the clip goes into slot 2 which is just above the stock bracket. The clip keeps the line from falling down and the stock metal connecting brakeline keeps it from moving up. I've got an old picture of my coilover install with the lines in the background to the email address you've listed in your profile.
Good luck.
So I think i understand what you're saying...only the part below #2 has the same dimensions as the part above #2. If the part above #2 can pass through the stock bracket, what's stopping the part below #2?
 

·
Penetration Specialist
Joined
·
23,688 Posts
Installed mine this past weekend. Were a bitch. :-? All of them fit quite snug. The front right one gave me the most problems.

Suggestions for this install...10mm pipe wrench or else you will strip those heezy's to no end.
 

·
Podiatrist
Joined
·
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wino_II said:
Installed mine this past weekend. Were a bitch. :-? All of them fit quite snug. The front right one gave me the most problems.

Suggestions for this install...10mm pipe wrench or else you will strip those heezy's to no end.
\

I"d just suggest going stoptech rather than goodrich.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
i just did the goodrich ss lines, if you need pics i can take some. they didn't fit out of the box for me either. i ended up dremeling the top flange on the new line to fit the factory bracket. lemme know
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top