Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to do a GTE swap and could use some helpful advice or answers.
Not sure if to buy an Aristo GTE VVTi or NoN VVTi motor.
My goal is to make about 400whp on my IS300(manual) without loosing the function of the gauges and accessories; don't care about Traction control.
I'm uncertain if an aristo VVti GTE swap can support this HP goal without having to use a piggy back or standalone fuel management.

On the other hand, what's involved in doing a NON VVTi GTE swap? Will the Gauges and accessories still work?
Which swap would be easiest to make my intended WHP goal?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
either way you need to run engine management unless you run the aristo ecu the non vvtI is more of a pain either way you will need a new trans and I would do a lot more searching there is lots of info on the topic already

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
The easiest thing to do is buy a turbo kit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i also agree on aristo vvti being less of a headache in terms of a swap. if around 400hp is your goal you can still do it with the 2jz in your car. of course change to gte internals, turbo kit, supporting mods, and standalone/piggy back(ugh), etc etc

either way you do it, you will still need supporting mods and engine management is not something you cheap out on imo

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
just put on a turbo kit with gte internals and call it a day
id like to see the cost comparison of a turbo kit vs a GTE swap. here is my guess.

turbo kit 7,000
GTE internals 600
pull motor and rebuild 1500

GTE motor 2000
install 2000

·
Registered
238 Posts
id like to see the cost comparison of a turbo kit vs a GTE swap. here is my guess.

turbo kit 7,000
GTE internals 600

GTE motor 2000
install 2000

To get to around 400 hp with GTE Swap, you will also need new transmission, single turbo kit (most likely), EMS, and other stuff. It is cheaper to do GTE internals/turbo kit and call it a day. Heck you see people with 300hp-350hp with stock internals out there! IMO i would say both would be reliable at 400hp but only with a GOOD tune!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

turbo kit 7,000
GTE internals 600

GTE motor 2000
install 2000
^ Not very accurate on the gte motor swap price I am way above that on mine and others from what I have seen are quite a bit over that as well.

Reason I suggested a turbo is because if you buy one somewhere such as srt the r&d is already done where as for the motor swap is alot of guess work and research and he asked about easiest.
Also comes down to if you are a DIYer or going to have a shop do it

I mentioned gte internals because in another thread of his he mentioned a bent rod or something of that nature
just my $.02

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
To get to around 400 hp with GTE Swap, you will also need new transmission, single turbo kit (most likely), EMS, and other stuff. It is cheaper to do GTE internals/turbo kit and call it a day. Heck you see people with 300hp-350hp with stock internals out there! IMO i would say both would be reliable at 400hp but only with a GOOD tune!
you can get 400hp on the stock twins. and you dont need a new tranny. on an auto only need a valvebody upgrade

heck im one of those people on stock bottom end. i made 450hp with only a headgasket

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
^ Not very accurate on the gte motor swap price I am way above that on mine and others from what I have seen are quite a bit over that as well.

Reason I suggested a turbo is because if you buy one somewhere such as srt the r&d is already done where as for the motor swap is alot of guess work and research and he asked about easiest.
Also comes down to if you are a DIYer or going to have a shop do it

I mentioned gte internals because in another thread of his he mentioned a bent rod or something of that nature
just my $.02
that was a guess my friend.

what would a typical swap cost? a typical swap not one wit v160. +3000 to my estimate?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Correct! the motor thats in the car hydo locked. Rod(s) definitely got bent because the crank only turns a few degrees after water was removed from 3 of the cylinders. I don't want to waste time with the damaged GE motor or take any chances with it trying to rebuilding it; A GTE swap seems to be better choice.
Last night I pulled the GE motor.

A few pics. (Can some one please post these for me, Sorry newbie to this site)

PHTO0896.jpg picture by squaddy11 - Photobucket

PHTO0897.jpg picture by squaddy11 - Photobucket

PHTO0898.jpg picture by squaddy11 - Photobucket

·
Premium Member
23,141 Posts
that was a guess my friend.

what would a typical swap cost? a typical swap not one wit v160. +3000 to my estimate?
A 2JZ-GTE w/V160 goes for about $6,000. One with an automatic attached goes for $2,800 on average. You also forget about all the fuel system upgrades you should do with the GTE swap that are included with the turbo kit (fuel pump, ect) AND all the "upgrades" you have to do to stock twins to get to 400whp, plus engine management. You essentially have to have a BPU++ setup.

Oh and SRT 2.75 kits are $5-6,000. Easily capable of 400+whp. If you can install yourself you are FAR better off running a bolt on turbo kit for cost efficiency. Then from there look into transmission options until your stock trans takes a shit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A 2JZ-GTE w/V160 goes for about $6,000. One with an automatic attached goes for $2,800 on average. You also forget about all the fuel system upgrades you should do with the GTE swap that are included with the turbo kit (fuel pump, ect) AND all the "upgrades" you have to do to stock twins to get to 400whp, plus engine management. You essentially have to have a BPU++ setup.

Oh and SRT 2.75 kits are $5-6,000. Easily capable of 400+whp. If you can install yourself you are FAR better off running a bolt on turbo kit for cost efficiency. Then from there look into transmission options until your stock trans takes a shit.

I took a look at whts included in the SRT 2.75 kit... It'll work out cheaper to shop around for those parts need to run that much power. The only thing I might be interested in is their management system. Not sure if they'll sell that seperate or for how much???
I have a welder that can weld Stainless and aluminum, so the plumbing part
should be a problem.
But as of now, I'm still trying to decide on " Vvti or NoN Vvti".
Some of the local gearsheads I now, keep telling me to go NON VVTi
because its easier to tune OBDI GTE. I would like to take that route but the
wiring harness part scares me, lol.
I've read about some IS owners who went Non VVti and ran their ECUs on parallel; its all good news, but I can't seem to find a write up/post on how to do that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
an easy way to save money would be to do the swap yourself..but if you do not have the experience to tackle the project then be prepared to hand over your wallet lol
I 'll be doing the work my self, not so sure about the wiring part yet.
Read a post the other day about someone seeing smoke coming out of their ECU on first start up; that can't be good!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.