Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone - "Do directional tires matter"?

Just got back from picking up my IS from its 5,000 mile check-up. As part of the check up, they appear to have rotated the tires.

I seem to remember that all the arrows on the directional tires used to point in the correct direction. Now for some reason, the FRONT DRIVERS SIDE tire has the arrows pointing CLOCKWISE. I BELIEVE this tire's arrows should be facing counter clockwise. The other 3 tires look fine.

I called the dealer and they are not sure if it really matters which way the arrows point.....

Any help from anyone here? Does it matter or no?
Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
IT DOES MATTER - i can attest to this from experienece - i had pepboys mount some rims (which already had tires mounted on them) they put the tires on backwards and it got all FUKED up - the sidewalls blew - to make a long story short - i blew a hole so big u could put u're fist in it - the directional treads are there for a reason - make them fix it and don't drive on it till they do - or do it u'reself - what will end up happening if u don't - is that you will snap the radial belt inside the tire -

get that fixed ASAP

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get 'em rotated correctly ASAP.

When I bought my IS, I noticed that the Left Front and Right Rear tires were mounted in the wrong direction and pointed it out before I drove off the lot. The sales guy didn't have clue about how the directional tires worked, but checked with the service dept. They got fixed quickly.

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Directional tires MUST rotate as stated on the sidewall. Get those dumb morons to fix that now! I can't believe they told you they didn't know!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Since only one of the tires is on the wrong direction, perhaps they did a 5-tire rotation method, which includes the spare tire in the rotation (assuming the IS comes w/ a spare of the same type as the other 4 wheels, I'm not sure). If it were me, I would just rotate the tires front to back, keeping them on the same side of the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all your help. I took it back to the dealership this morning. They apparently did a "5 tire rotation"...basically putting the full size spare on the front drivers side. I had them change it and I am all set.

Thanks
Jason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts