Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2001 IS 300 in Ma just about three years ago on 2/24/05. When i bought it i did a carfax vehicle report on it and the car was said to have a clean title (thats the only way the bank i go through will loan you money is if the title is clean). Well 3 years later I looked into trading it in. The dealership i brought it to ran a carfax report and now the car comes back as being in a collision and having frame damage. On the report it says that carfax started reporting about this car like two months after i bought it. How is it that nearly two years after the car was in the accident and I had bought it the damage is finally disclosed and added to a report? I feel used and now I'm screwed because i owe a lot more on the loan than the car is even worth. From this the trade in value of the car dropped about 50%.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
yep, you got hosed
Please don't beat around the bush.

I'd contact a lawyer, I don't think info like this can be added to the report that long after, Carfax better make good on this.

·
Registered
15,872 Posts
when you bought the car did you actually pull a car fax or did they have one printed up for you?

and if you ran it did you actually pay for the report or did you just do the free one that will say there MIGHT be somethin worng but you cant see what it is

·
Registered
269 Posts
If it had frame damage then it should also have a salvage or junk title, or at the very least a damage disclosure. It depends on your state laws but mine for example requires that you report at the time of sale any repairs in excess of $3,000. Are you sure you even have a clean title?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was three years ago but I'm pretty sure i paid the fee to get the detailed carfax. Regardless, on the report i have now it says that this information was not reported until after the date I purchased the vehicle and the accident happened almost two years before hand. I'm sure it had a clean title at the time because the bank i go through only will give a loan with a clean title. I'm in Massachusetts. I don't know the laws but something seems really wrong with this.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Doesn't carfax have a lemon guarantee that says something to the effect of if you run their carfax, buy the vehicle, and then something they didn't catch shows up they offer to buy the car back? You may want to get some legal advice. I can see this being a huge headache for you though, I've gotten screwed by the man a few times too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just looking on the carfax website and they do have a guarantee but it has to be bought and from what i read its only good for a year. I think i am going to be contacting a lawyer, and your right this is already a huge headache. Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Interesting word, bamboozled, you don't hear it too often, where are you from?

Anyway, I would contact carfax. Was the car purchased from an individual or dealership? A lawyer may be your best option since it seems that the damage was intentionally hidden? I'd also be careful as legal fees can pile up quickly. If the car's been driving great for a few years, there's no reason why it should die anytime soon due to the undisclosed damage.

I've also heard of Carfax having mistakes. Have it checked out by a reputable body shop, and see if it really did have frame damage. Perhaps it's just an error on Carfax's part, all it takes is one guy to fat-finger a VIN someplace, and those records end up being tied to your car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm from massachusetts, no one here says bamboozled but I thought that might attract people to check the post out. Anyway The car was purchased by me from a dealership. Its not a matter if the car drives great or not its a matter of me wanting to trade it in and being able to at least getting enough money to almost cover what i owe on it. I went from getting around 10,000 for a trade to only getting 6,000. Thats 4 grand i would need to come up with.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Whats up Jcod23 and IS community. Yes, carfax does have a buyback garauntee only if it was stated on your first report (since you bought the car through your 1st report), but you can compare the 2 reports and tell them. Not all reports have buyback garauntee, jsut so you know. Also nothing is 100% accurate, because anyone can just report a random VIN number in. Hopefully, you still have the 1st report and hopefully they have records showing that you paid 30$ or whatever for the 1st report 2 years ago. Yes, I hate legal issues like this, such a headache. This is one thing I dislike about America though, so much scandalous stuff and people on either side can lose big bucks. I hope everything works out for you. I would consider buying new cars for now on, since buying used cars= buying their headaches (well mostly it's like this) or buy used cars from people you can trust/a hookup (Could be your friend's friend or a freind that knows someone somewhat well). Enjoy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
whao i just learned a new word "Bamboozled" haha

on a serious note..what the hell go get the person who sold it to you and give him a nice beating...or u ran a wrong vin by mistake =)

GL!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Google Carfax scam or whatever and you will find tons of people facing the same problem. They buy a car, few months later it has a salvage title or accident indicator and you get screwed. So who to blame? I am sure it takes time for he insurance companies submit a report or whatever. Trust me your not the only one.

One guy did a carfax came up clean...bought the car for 30K over Ebay and two weeks later found out the car was stolen and was out 30K.

·
Registered
156 Posts
how do you get a report? call a lexus dealer and ask them to run the vin or something? hows it possible its clean then months later come out salvaged..stolen..etc

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
They had an episode of Friends dedicated to a game called Bamboozled.

Just thought you would all like to know...

Reactions: ItalynStylion

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I googled the carfax scam thing and found a lot of other stories just like mine and they were unable to get the money back because they did not retain the first copy of the carfax that they bought the car with. I learned my lesson and here's a tip to others. If you carfax your car and buy it keep the copy of the carfax until you sell the car. I guess its my fault for not reading into carfax and trusting them to have accurate information. Lessoned learned.

P.S. I didn't get the word bamboozled from friends i can't stand that show.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
They had an episode of Friends dedicated to a game called Bamboozled.

Just thought you would all like to know...
Was just going to say that.
One of the best episodes ever.

Reactions: XRflip05
1 - 19 of 19 Posts