Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mr. Negative
12,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a job offer in Nagoya Japan(as I hear it a 2hr bullet train ride from Tokyo).

The possitives that I have about this that I can think of are....
1. Very good learning experience.
2. Potential for even better money in the states after job is over.
2. Travel to Japan
3. Make/Save descent $Jack$ during the 6months.
4. Cute asian women

The negatives
1. Short term contract
2. Uncertainties with living abroad
3. I only get to come back once @ 3months in.
4. Insurance, I don't know how the health care system works over there if I had to go to the doctor.

The money is pretty good(I'll make more in 6months than I make now in a year) and it's for a 6month contract. What kind of living accomidations and expenses can I expect in Nagoya(pop. 2.5mil) ?

Please help guys and gals. I need any info you can offer me about this.

·
8,107 Posts
IS_Dude, I lived in Japan for 2 years, on my own, not for a US company. A lot depends on whether you're getting an expat package - will they give you an apartment or do you have to rent one yourself? Will you have a car? Travelling anywhere is expensive. Living there is expensive too, depending on what you have to pay for yourself.
- I think the bullet train ride to Nagoya is more like an hour, but not sure.
- Nagoya is kind of the pits, but for 6 months, it won't matter too much.
- don't worry about health care - I've been to Japanese clinics, they are ok, just a long wait (3 hours to get seen) thanks to socialized medicine. I got seen to by the cutest nurse I've ever seen too. :)
- keep in mind you cannot learn from the Japanese - at all - trust me on this. Don't expect to go work with Japanese people and learn something. Other than the Japanese language of course.

IS_Dude said:
I got a job offer in Nagoya Japan(as I hear it a 2hr bullet train ride from Tokyo).

The possitives that I have about this that I can think of are....
1. Very good learning experience.
2. Potential for even better money in the states after job is over.
2. Travel to Japan
3. Make/Save descent $Jack$ during the 6months.
4. Cute asian women

The negatives
1. Short term contract
2. Uncertainties with living abroad
3. I only get to come back once @ 3months in.
4. Insurance, I don't know how the health care system works over there if I had to go to the doctor.

The money is pretty good(I'll make more in 6months than I make now in a year) and it's for a 6month contract. What kind of living accomidations and expenses can I expect in Nagoya(pop. 2.5mil) ?

Please help guys and gals. I need any info you can offer me about this.

·
8,107 Posts
As for Japanese women - it is both easy and hard to meet them. Very easy if you work with them, go to school with them - or have some kind of relationship, even minor. You can NOT meet them in a bar or nightclub, they absolutely refuse to talk to strangers, they won't even look at you if you talk to them. Unless they are complete sluts. And keep in mind that Japanese men love to travel southeast Asia on sex tours, and they hate using condoms - and they come back and sleep with Japanese women. You do the math. :)

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
ckolsen said:
As for Japanese women - it is both easy and hard to meet them. Very easy if you work with them, go to school with them - or have some kind of relationship, even minor. You can NOT meet them in a bar or nightclub, they absolutely refuse to talk to strangers, they won't even look at you if you talk to them. Unless they are complete sluts. And keep in mind that Japanese men love to travel southeast Asia on sex tours, and they hate using condoms - and they come back and sleep with Japanese women. You do the math. :)
1 + 1 = STD

·
Mr. Negative
12,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll learn from the work I'll be doing and mainly from teaching myself. I've heard that about the culture before. Thanks for reminding me.

I'm basically getting expenses per day and a per day salary(for lack of a better word). As long as it doesn't cost me much more than 4G's to live per month then I can live off my expenses and not touch my salary. What do you think?

Thanks

ckolsen said:
IS_Dude, I lived in Japan for 2 years, on my own, not for a US company. A lot depends on whether you're getting an expat package - will they give you an apartment or do you have to rent one yourself? Will you have a car? Travelling anywhere is expensive. Living there is expensive too, depending on what you have to pay for yourself.
- I think the bullet train ride to Nagoya is more like an hour, but not sure.
- Nagoya is kind of the pits, but for 6 months, it won't matter too much.
- don't worry about health care - I've been to Japanese clinics, they are ok, just a long wait (3 hours to get seen) thanks to socialized medicine. I got seen to by the cutest nurse I've ever seen too. :)
- keep in mind you cannot learn from the Japanese - at all - trust me on this. Don't expect to go work with Japanese people and learn something. Other than the Japanese language of course.

·
Mr. Negative
12,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ckolson
I forgot to add this. They told me to not worry about a car as it was very expensive and to use public transportation. I'll probably get information about places to stay but for the most part I'll be on my own.

·
Mr. Negative
12,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thought I'd bump this for the west coast since I posted this so early this morning...

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Lexus_Rex said:
ckolsen said:
1 + 1 = STD
godd job man, we knew you could do it!!!

learn to like sushi as well as rice!

·
8,107 Posts
My apartment in downtown Tokyo was 80,000 yen/month (about $700) - it was about the size of a college dorm single, with built in bathroom and tiny kitchen. If you don't mind that size of a place, you can find one for that kind of money and save a ton. Travel is fairly expensive, but you can probably get a rail pass (since you won't have a work visa) if you want to travel a lot.
You don't need a car, it is pretty expensive. Toll for driving to Tokyo will be about $40 each way, plus gas is $4/gallon.

IS_Dude said:
I'm basically getting expenses per day and a per day salary(for lack of a better word). As long as it doesn't cost me much more than 4G's to live per month then I can live off my expenses and not touch my salary. What do you think?

Thanks

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
i'd do it...but then again, it's cause i love japan. maybe it's cause i'm japanese...

but i had the same type of offer to go to singapore and i turned it down. it was an expat position...for 1 yr...

·
Registered
8,552 Posts
ckolsen said:
My apartment in downtown Tokyo was 80,000 yen/month (about $700) - it was about the size of a college dorm single, with built in bathroom and tiny kitchen. If you don't mind that size of a place, you can find one for that kind of money and save a ton. Travel is fairly expensive, but you can probably get a rail pass (since you won't have a work visa) if you want to travel a lot.
You don't need a car, it is pretty expensive. Toll for driving to Tokyo will be about $40 each way, plus gas is $4/gallon.

Aren't there a lot of taxes for just owning a car?

·
8,107 Posts
I'm not aware of any big taxes, but there is an Inspection every year or two, that can cost like thousands/year for a 5-6 year old car (gets more expensive to make older cars pass). This is why Japanese don't have old cars, they're just ridiculously expensive to pass the government inspections. Its a disincentive to keep your car.

Chan said:
Aren't there a lot of taxes for just owning a car?

·
Mr. Negative
12,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks a lot guys. They actually wanted me to do a 2 week stint starting Monday. I told them there was no way I could do that, but there is the longer term contract starting Jan6. That's the one I want anyway, and that I have a good chance at getting.

Chris, you said I probably wouldn't have a workvisa. Wouldn't I have to? That's good news about the apartment. I'd probably live in a hotel for a month and then get a place for the remainder, but I heard they hit you with all kinds of deposit and various fees on apartments. While I'm there I'd probably do as much traveling as budget and time will allow. I kind of figured that it would be expensive but It will probably be the only time I'll get to go to Japan. Since I'm a whitey and 6'2 I'll probably stick out like a sore thumb but it should be a lot of fun if I get to go.

sorry for the stupid question but what exactly does expat mean? I think it means expatriate, but I'm not quite sure what that means in relation to the job.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've worked in Japan for about two weeks. Japan just didn't work out for me. I stayed in a hotel in the Shibuya district and everything was so crowded. There were still people all over the place at 2 in the morning. They decided to put me there because I guess at the time I was about 20 years old and it was supposed to be where all the young hip crowd was (at least that's what they claimed). The food wasn't really that expensive and you don't have to eat rice all the time (I'm probably one of the few asian people you'll ever meet that doesn't like rice). Noodle houses is the way to go and there's always McDonalds.

I was in Australia for a month prior to going to Japan. I was only supposed to be there for two weeks and extended it to a month. I had a blast over there. They know how to live. Working 7 hour days and 3 month vacations and damn they party hard.

The minimum requirement for expatriate from what I recall was one year. The reason you would want to file for expatriate is because a good portion of your salary may be excluded from taxes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
10 Participants
ckolsen
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing