Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A reeeeeal bad thing happened today. I was driving on an open road at night time with only one pickup truck ahead of me. Then out of no where I see a pebble come off of it and it hits my glass. It left a penny size crack in the glass. This car is not even a week old. What should I do?! If i ask the insurance company to pay for it, will my premium go up? Also, usually, how much deductable is the glass on the insurance? Thanks guyz.. you people are really knowledgable.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The loss would be covered under comprehensive. Note, most states have a law that the insurance company can not charge you a ded. for replacement of the windshield glass only. Check that out for your state.

Also, there are some great companys out there that can do glass repair without having to replace the entire windshield, you should really try to opt for that as you really do not want to take the windshield off and break the factory seal etc....

Call a local glass company they should be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have a $250 deductible. Check your comprehensive deductible on your policy.

Use some crazy glue on the crack - that may help it from spreading but eventually you will need a new windshield.

Maybe the dealer could sneak it in under warranty or you could try to claim that it was there at time of delivery (stretch, I'll admit).

------------------
cardinal
'01 Silver/Black
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17"

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have a $250 deductible. Check your comprehensive deductible on your policy.

Use some crazy glue on the crack - that may help it from spreading but eventually you will need a new windshield.

Maybe the dealer could sneak it in under warranty or you could try to claim that it was there at time of delivery (stretch, I'll admit).

------------------
cardinal
'01 Silver/Black
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17"

·
Registered
537 Posts
Some smaller chips/cracks can be repaired. The technology for doing that has come a long way. Many times the repair will be unnoticable. In addition to cosmetics, it's important to get it fixed to maintain structural integrity, since the IS has a front passenger air bag. According to the glass installer who just replaced my IS300 windshield this morning the air bag depends on the windshield for strength.

Ask a local auto glass installer about windshield repair. If they can't do that, then just get it replaced.

Rob

------------------
2001 IS300
Spectra Blue Mica/Ivory
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17" wheels
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
4.7L, QuadraDrive, UpCountry
Patriot Blue, Fully loaded

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yogujuhere,

You are not alone! I just had mine repaired last Saturday. I had about quarter inch ligth scratch on my windshield. As long as you don't REPLACE your winshield, you don't pay anything. No premium raise and no ded.

Here's what the repair guy did:
grilled the spot where the scratch was, about 1/8th of an inch.
Filled it with the liquid that's supposed to hold the windshield together and prevent the area from cracking in the future.
Applied some other liquid that's supposed to protect the surface.

I can still see the crack, but it's smooth on the surface and protected from further disgrace.

Hope this helps

Sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
nextsean
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing