Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a problem with my IS300 that I need to solve as soon as possible, seeing this is my 6th quart of oil and don't have any more.

After I switched to Mobil1 5W30 synthetic oil, the car's been burning oil like crazy. I've checked the oil filter and the drain plug - they're not leaking oil. And yet, after just two weeks, the oil level went from high to below the low point. at first i thought it was an oil leak, so i resecured everything and put some more oil into it. but after a little over a week, it's burned all the oil from that too, and i'm basically out of oil. was it a bad move for me to switch to synthetic? my car had about 40k on it. any help is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
is you car smoking or has a sweet exhaust smell? How do you know your car is "burning the oil"? Is the inside of ur exhaust tip greasy carbon?

Maybe you have a Head gasket leak and the oil is either:

(A) Leaking into exhaust manifold
(B) Leaking in to coolant passages (check ur coolant for foamy contaminants.
(C) Just plain leaking from drain plug or filter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i know it's not leaking from drain plug or filter, i already checked. there wasn't any foamy thing anywhere in the engine bay. but i haven't checked the exhaust/header yet. i guess i'll look into that too.

i do not know for sure if it's burning oil or leaking oil. i assume it's burning the oil because a leak to me is unlikely...but i could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
I have a couple of questions:

1. Did you do the oil change yourself?
2. How many quarts of Mobil1 oil did you use during the oil change?
3. Prior to checking the dip stick, I hope you didn't start the car then check.

These may sound stupid questions, but I'm just trying to gather more info...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts