Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
david told me you had to do something with the fender mounting point to install his lights, no? like the screws were too short, but he never told me exactly because he didn't know
yes, the screws are a little bit shorter due to the different fender mount, but they still thread on and you get enough turns to hold the headlight in securely. i didn't modify anything besides the wiring though. :)

of course it is perfectly reasonable that putting USDM headlights on a JDM vehicle might not work because of these differences.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
yes, the screws are a little bit shorter due to the different fender mount, but they still thread on and you get enough turns to hold the headlight in securely. i didn't modify anything besides the wiring though. :)

of course it is perfectly reasonable that putting USDM headlights on a JDM vehicle might not work because of these differences.
good info, thanks. the JDM titanium heads have HIDs though, so it would plug straight in without any mods according to hkis

·
Registered
12 Posts
Along the same line.....Lexus quoted me $357 for my 2001 IS300 HID bulb. Can anyone tell me if this is accurate and where else besides the dealer where I can find these bulbs? Thanks!
Lol, you should only get a quote from Lexus for anything only if you absolutely can not find whatever part it is you're looking for ! Just an fyi they want you to take out a 2nd mortgage for a windshield wiper. Ebay,amazon, there's so many sites online just google D2R bulbs and go from there. Autozone quoted me $100 per bulb and I thought that was crazy but $357? I get mine 2 for 30 and shipped to my home in 2-3days. Good luck to you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes they should fit just fine

What kind of "issue" are you running into?

in the US IS300 owners put the Altezza lights on, they are virtually the same car
Some guys selling a pair of clean used 2005 headlights but I have a 2002, will they fit? Sorry I know stupid question but I recall a video where someone said they're a little larger and struggled getting them in and had to do some minor adjustments. Just wanted to check before buying

·
2,996 Posts
Lol, you should only get a quote from Lexus for anything only if you absolutely can not find whatever part it is you're looking for ! Just an fyi they want you to take out a 2nd mortgage for a windshield wiper. Ebay,amazon, there's so many sites online just google D2R bulbs and go from there. Autozone quoted me $100 per bulb and I thought that was crazy but $357? I get mine 2 for 30 and shipped to my home in 2-3days. Good luck to you
He only ever posted once in Jan 22, 2008. Super old tread.

MSMIS3
Last seen Mar 9, 2016

·
Mr. Roo
9,684 Posts
Some guys selling a pair of clean used 2005 headlights but I have a 2002, will they fit? Sorry I know stupid question but I recall a video where someone said they're a little larger and struggled getting them in and had to do some minor adjustments. Just wanted to check before buying
Yes, the head lights from the 2005 will fit the same as the 2002.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The replacement headlight mounting bracket from Lexus in Australia, fits both types of headlight and is not that expensive, we had both types of headlights, not sure about the US Lexus parts. JDM and Australian headlights dip to the opposite side of the road to US ones and would be annoying and illegal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Along the same line.....Lexus quoted me $357 for my 2001 IS300 HID bulb. Can anyone tell me if this is accurate and where else besides the dealer where I can find these bulbs? Thanks!
Best price for bulbs that I found

·
Registered
857 Posts
The replacement headlight mounting bracket from Lexus in Australia, fits both types of headlight and is not that expensive, we had both types of headlights, not sure about the US Lexus parts. JDM and Australian headlights dip to the opposite side of the road to US ones and would be annoying and illegal.
Yeah i wondered about how they get on with that as well, maybe its in the bulb? I bought some replacement HID bulbs a while back that had a metal ring around the bulb which i can only assume was to adjust the light direction. Plus the ones the US are swapping are from the 1st gen Altezza with the orange indicator stripe which are Halogen bulbs not HID, i believe HID were the only option for USDM.:unsure:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah i wondered about how they get on with that as well, maybe its in the bulb? I bought some replacement HID bulbs a while back that had a metal ring around the bulb which i can only assume was to adjust the light direction. Plus the ones the US are swapping are from the 1st gen Altezza with the orange indicator stripe which are Halogen bulbs not HID, i believe HID were the only option for USDM.:unsure:
In general its easier to keep to whatever headlights the car had originally, you can swap the Altezza/IS200 ones in but is it worth it? The IS300 headlight is better if using standard bulbs, the electrics are different, the bracket next to the radiator is different and the bracket spot welded onto the fender is different as well.

·
Mr. Roo
9,684 Posts
those metal ring things on the glass are glare control for reflector-based HID like the IS300 has. Those are D2R (reflector) versions. D2S don't have those painted shields and are made for projectors, where the projectors have the glare control better.

As for LHD vs RHD output, it's 100% about the low beam reflector, has nothing to do with the housing.

The housings are different based on if the lights are HID or halogen. The halogen lights are a lot smaller, the HID lights are deeper, due to the requirements of the HID bulbs and ballasts.

·
Registered
857 Posts
those metal ring things on the glass are glare control for reflector-based HID like the IS300 has. Those are D2R (reflector) versions. D2S don't have those painted shields and are made for projectors, where the projectors have the glare control better.

As for LHD vs RHD output, it's 100% about the low beam reflector, has nothing to do with the housing.
THe metal rings on the cheap pair i had were truely awful, the rings could spin and the light spread was all over the place. I ended up taking them back and getting an OEM replacement. But i do remember there being something similar on the OEM, yes D2R jogs my memory.

THe beam reflector, is that part of the bulb or the housing? If its part of the bulb then it wouldnt matter putting the Altezza or IS300 on as long as the bulb was for the local RHD/LHD requirement

·
Registered
49 Posts
THe metal rings on the cheap pair i had were truely awful, the rings could spin and the light spread was all over the place. I ended up taking them back and getting an OEM replacement. But i do remember there being something similar on the OEM, yes D2R jogs my memory.

THe beam reflector, is that part of the bulb or the housing? If its part of the bulb then it wouldnt matter putting the Altezza or IS300 on as long as the bulb was for the local RHD/LHD requirement
Just noticed your in NZ, lol. If you want stock replacement headlights, look at the previous pictures about the headlight assembly and I think if you have an Altezza they are the same as a Lexus IS200. If they are the same, there are heaps of them for sale in Oz on facebook marketplace, wreckers or gumtree. The Lexus IS300 HID ones are much rarer and more expensive in Oz, I ended up buying ebay JDM HID (bulbs included) from the US as they are no good for US cars, being made for driving on the left hand side of the road like us and were cheap even after freight. There are also plenty of Japanese/asian aftermarket headlights and they suit the side of the road we drive on, but not the Chinese as they drive on the RH side like the US and their lights dip to the wrong side of the road for us.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Just noticed your in NZ, lol. If you want stock replacement headlights, look at the previous pictures about the headlight assembly and I think if you have an Altezza they are the same as a Lexus IS200. If they are the same, there are heaps of them for sale in Oz on facebook marketplace, wreckers or gumtree. The Lexus IS300 HID ones are much rarer and more expensive in Oz, I ended up buying ebay JDM HID (bulbs included) from the US as they are no good for US cars, being made for driving on the left hand side of the road like us and were cheap even after freight. There are also plenty of Japanese/asian aftermarket headlights and they suit the side of the road we drive on, but not the Chinese as they drive on the RH side like the US and their lights dip to the wrong side of the road for us.
Thanks, that was a couple of years ago so i just ended up getting a 2nd hand unit as i wasnt sure if it was the ballast or not at that stage. Replaced both ballast and bulb in the end, all good now.

·
Mr. Roo
9,684 Posts
It's the actual chrome reflector bowl of the headlight itself, not the bulb. Bulbs are the same either way. I took a picture of the effect on my car when I first got it to show how it works:

In the pic, you can see how the light is being reflected out from the 9:00 position to the 4:00 position. It's that extra wedge from 3:00 - 4:00 that sense the light up to the side of the road and determines if it's RHD or LHD. This is LHD, the light hits the reflector and bounces in the opposite direction (the reflectors mirror/flip light). So for RHD, this wedge would be on the otherside, and you'd see it light up from 8:00 - 3:00

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks, that was a couple of years ago so i just ended up getting a 2nd hand unit as i wasnt sure if it was the ballast or not at that stage. Replaced both ballast and bulb in the end, all good now.
I partly put that in the highly likely case someone is in the same situation and trying to find a replacement, might come up in their search.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts