Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the 2nd owner to a 2001 is300, with about 160k miles, and have owned the car for a few years now. It is pretty much all stock. I replaced my alternator about 2 years ago.

So a few weeks ago (last time I drove the car), I was on the highway and my battery light turned on. I noticed as well that when I accelerated, the voltage meter would quickly climb up to the max value (18v) and everything would get bright. When I stopped accelerating, the voltage would fall back down to below average, and everything would go dim. I tested the battery and it came back OK. Now after a few weeks of not driving it, it wont start. I have charged the battery and even tried to jump the car to at least get it to start, to no avail. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and what was causing it. I can install a new alternator if I need to, but I wanted to be sure it wasn't something else causing the issue. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I am the 2nd owner to a 2001 is300, with about 160k miles, and have owned the car for a few years now. It is pretty much all stock. I replaced my alternator about 2 years ago.

So a few weeks ago (last time I drove the car), I was on the highway and my battery light turned on. I noticed as well that when I accelerated, the voltage meter would quickly climb up to the max value (18v) and everything would get bright. When I stopped accelerating, the voltage would fall back down to below average, and everything would go dim. I tested the battery and it came back OK. Now after a few weeks of not driving it, it wont start. I have charged the battery and even tried to jump the car to at least get it to start, to no avail. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and what was causing it. I can install a new alternator if I need to, but I wanted to be sure it wasn't something else causing the issue. Thanks in advance for any help.
Bad alternator. Replace. If you are a little industrious. You can upgrade to a larger one.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Sounds like the regulator popped inside the alternator. I wouldn't drive it like that. It might bake all the liquid out of the battery. It's possible it already killed your battery and that's why it won't start now.

·
Registered
568 Posts
As the others mentioned above with the alternator, though I've only seen the regulators drop voltage when they fail a short can make them do some strange things depending on where it is. Also there is a possibility the high voltage may have popped a fuse or 2 which wont help things start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I changed out the alternator and that was indeed the issue. The alternator was not outputting anything. Everything runs as normal now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts