Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am doing the timing belt and water pump on my IS. I just using the chain wrench(holding by water pump housing) to break loose the crankshaft pulley bolts but the problem i have now was how to tight it back to the original spec - 236 lbs. How do you guys holding the crankshaft pulley while you tighting the bolts??

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Some people use a breaker bar with a long pipe that bears on the frame or the garage floor so the crank won't turn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some people use a breaker bar with a long pipe that bears on the frame or the garage floor so the crank won't turn.
but everytime i try to tight the bolts, the engine was turning too. So i need a way to hold the engine(crank pulley won't move) so i can tight the bolt.

·
Registered
122 Posts
From the tech manual, you should be able to fabricate something similar to this to hold it in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
IR Titanium 1/2" impact gun and impact swivel was all i used, after about 15sec of hammering it came off. The condensor was in the way, thats why i used a snap-on 1/2" swivel joint.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have an automatic, you need to hold the pulley itself like slodsm shows. But if you have a manual, just leave it in 5th gear with the e-brake pulled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts