Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to do the timing belt on my wife's is300. I've spent the last hour trying to get the crank pulley bolt off.

I tried using some angle iron to make a crank pulley holder. I've bent 4 holder bolts now trying to get the crank pulley bolt off

Does anyone local to Rockville MD have the SST pulley holder tool or some other means to get the crank pulley bolt off?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
960 Posts
You'll need these three things:
1. Chain wrench (Harbor Freight)
2. 2' or more 1/2" drive breaker bar (Harbor Freight)
3. 5' or longer 1" iron pipe (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.)

Use a piece of and old accessory belt (you are replacing them too I assume), wrapped around the crank pulley to protect it from the chain wrench. Position the handle of the chain wrench against the floor of the garage to hold the crank pulley. Put the appropriate socket on the 2' breaker bar and position it on the crank bolt as far to the right side (standing in front of & facing the car) of the engine bay as possible. Slide the 1" iron pipe over the breaker bar handle. Start pushing/pulling the pipe to the left (counter clockwise), making sure the chain wrench is holding steady, then give a good push / tug until the bolt breaks loose.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up just getting the SST tool. Well worth the money. Checked the harbor freight and they didn't have a chain wrench large enough to wrap around the crank pulley with the drive belt. Maybe the one by me was out of stock.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I ended up just getting the SST tool. Well worth the money. Checked the harbor freight and they didn't have a chain wrench large enough to wrap around the crank pulley with the drive belt. Maybe the one by me was out of stock.
Well glad to hear you got it, I thought Harbor Freight would have this in stock as they only have one or two chain wrenches for a ½" breaker bar.
Chain Wrench - 20"
Don't know if that may help someone else but it could work I'd think. SST is definitely the way to go, sometimes they're ridiculously expensive. Good job!

·
Registered
960 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts