Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

this morning, i couldn't shift the car into gear at all. i can't get passed "P"! what can be the problem? is this a tranny problem? a few days ago, i did spill soda all over the center counsel. if that's the case, how can i fix it? please help!!

·
Registered
973 Posts
i remember some one else having this problem after spillin soda iam gonna search a little

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
There is a slit on top of the shifter somewhere. insert a flathead screw driver in and you can shift the gears.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is the slit only for emergency use only when your car dies out?

how can solve this problem permanently?

Bran1093 - yeh, please help me out!!

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
That slit will let you shift into gears and since you spilled soda....it must be all sticky under. That will have to be cleaned.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Ouch... so the Soda is caused the shift lock mechanism to get stuck? That'll teach you to spill coke on your centre console. <joking!> :lol:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you so much!!!!

any other possible cause for this problem?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I just wanna make sure... the soda was spilled onto the gear shifter itself? And how much soda went in there?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yup, quite a lot of soda, right on the gear shifter.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
When you press the brake all the way down, do you hear the interlock get out of the way (click sound)? Maybe the sticky soda is causing the interlock to stay put even though you are pressing the brake.

Or could be a sign your tranny is on its way out, any other symptoms prior to this point.

Still under warranty?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not under warranty anymore, that's y i'm so worried! i will try to clear the slit first.

yes, it does feel like its locking even tho i'm pressing down the brakes.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Not sure it would be a warranty claim or not, unless the soda had nothing to do with it, but the powertrain warranty is 72 months, 70,000 miles. You have more than 70,000 miles already?

It is easy to pop open the shift gate panel, search, I saw how to do it one here somewhere. You will have better access to clean it that way.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you very very much, i will look into it. i will keep you posted once i get home and try it out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you guys, everything is fine now.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
AlnIS300 said:
thank you guys, everything is fine now.
I'm curious... how did you end up fixing it? Did you end up removing the console between the seats and cleaning things yourself?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
first i popped open the slit right above the shifter, then pressed the button that's meant for you to put your car in gear when the car is off. when i shifted into gear while pressing on that button, i could feel all the syrup has already solidfied inside the shifter, but i was able to throw it into D. so i sat there for a few minutes shifting to all different gears so it may break loose all the solidfied syrup. after that, i took apart the consel, but couldn't get to the actual gear box to clean the thing. so i will just leave it for now.

any suggestions on how to clearn it thoroughly?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Check your tail lights bulbs. It happened to me when my tail lights doesn't work.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
AlnIS300 said:
first i popped open the slit right above the shifter, then pressed the button that's meant for you to put your car in gear when the car is off. when i shifted into gear while pressing on that button, i could feel all the syrup has already solidfied inside the shifter, but i was able to throw it into D. so i sat there for a few minutes shifting to all different gears so it may break loose all the solidfied syrup. after that, i took apart the consel, but couldn't get to the actual gear box to clean the thing. so i will just leave it for now.

any suggestions on how to clearn it thoroughly?
yeah. take it apart and clean it. the shift gate simply pulls straight up. the shift knob unscrews. un plug the cig lighter. use warm soapy water to remove syrup with washcloth. Leaving it be wont work,once the sun shines on the area and gets it nice n hot, the syrup will be liquid enough to cause the same problem again.

oh and dont spill any more soda.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts